When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raleigh Restoration

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Is it a Raleigh or a Hercules?
If it's a Raleigh, there should be a serial number on the frame on the seat lug.
its a
-----

The N marking on the crankarms is the monogram of their manufacturer - Nicklin.

The letters DW at the beginning are somewhat contradictory. The letter D in some Raleigh systems indicates a bicycle produced in Eire. While the letter W is employed to indicate a bicycle produced at Raleigh's Worksop facility.

We definitely need to hear from the Tube Investments experts here! ;)

-----
thats a good info :) thank you i will update all the parts when i finish polish all the chrome parts :)

Determining the age of a Raleigh from the Sheldon Brown site

View attachment 950438

Look on the 3 speed hub barrel for a date code.
i find it on the hub its stamped philips made in England on the back hub said Rolex i dont have any idea what is it

IMG_20190218_085106.jpg

IMG_20190218_085513.jpg

IMG_20190218_085539.jpg

You might try this site for date & ID help: http://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_vintref.html
Also, if that’s a brooks saddle you think is original click on the “Brooks saddle” link on that website. You may get a general idea of the year from the Brooks badge and the saddle frame may be stamped with the year of manufacture as well.

I believe you are correct - this looks like a post-war Raleigh roadster with some parts swapped. It looks to me like the chain case is Hercules-branded, but is Raleigh-made Hercules from after 1960. It's possible the rear hub or the rear wheel was swapped too for the Phillips. The 44-tooth chainring is correct for the chaincase model Raleigh roadster. The smaller 44 tooth size helps it fit in the case more easily than the 48. The spindle is also the Raleigh roadster spindle: size 08 with the "GC" indicating a longer length for a bike that could take a full gear case. They do not interchange with the more common number 16 spindle.

I believe you are correct - this looks like a post-war Raleigh roadster with some parts swapped. It looks to me like the chain case is Hercules-branded, but is Raleigh-made Hercules from after 1960. It's possible the rear hub or the rear wheel was swapped too for the Phillips. The 44-tooth chainring is correct for the chaincase model Raleigh roadster. The smaller 44 tooth size helps it fit in the case more easily than the 48. The spindle is also the Raleigh roadster spindle: size 08 with the "GC" indicating a longer length for a bike that could take a full gear case. They do not interchange with the more common number 16 spindle.
my knowledge has been upgrade now thank you sir.i think this bicycle that kind of mixed up parts :)

5 digits should indicate 1955 to 64, which no one has deciphered an exact pattern, and even the published attempt is flawed, but it most likely indicates they were running out of 5 digits, using letters for sequence, changing the system every few years, and possibly different systems between different factories.
First letter in the 70s system was always factory, and on that later known system D is Ireland
W as a second letter is weird, definitely doesn't mean Worksop (Carlton), could be a month code, but probably simply using the letter in sequence as they did in the late 50s, RA, RB.
My guess on the bike above, falls between 60 and 63.
This example is known 1957 Nottingham.
fJ0C5Ib.jpg

5 digits should indicate 1955 to 64, which no one has deciphered an exact pattern, and even the published attempt is flawed, but it most likely indicates they were running out of 5 digits, using letters for sequence, changing the system every few years, and possibly different systems between different factories.
First letter in the 70s system was always factory, and on that later known system D is Ireland
W as a second letter is weird, definitely doesn't mean Worksop (Carlton), could be a month code, but probably simply using the letter in sequence as they did in the late 50s, RA, RB.
My guess on the bike above, falls between 60 and 63.
This example is known 1957 Nottingham.
View attachment 951626
yes i search and google it everywhere nothing tell about DW serial code :) i hope someone very expert can give me am answer

Back