When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

¿Porque No Los Dos? 1956 Schwinn Black Phantom

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

soddruntlestuntle

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I believe if you have the choice between two good things you should take them both.

-- @1439Mike

And so it was written, and so it shall be done. It is done, I guess. Whatever, I bought a Black Phantom.

thumbnail_IMG_9814.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_9816.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_9815.jpg

62be93443a1f45928ae8f2668606f19c.jpg

It's a '56, so it doesn't have the locking fork. And the pedals, grips, and seat are incorrect (they will be rectified as time-- and money-- allows). And I'm pretty sure the tank is a repop (I haven't taken it apart yet). And it's a bit crusty. But the price was right. And it was close by. And the seller was a nice guy. So I'm happy. Rides SOOOO smooth, already enjoy riding this more than the Panther (shhhhhh, don't let her hear that I said that). And the black walls give it kind of a sinister look befitting of a 'Phantom'.

So feel free to laud or pan my decision, I'm curious to hear your opinions.

Great choice! Looks like an easy project to get her to 100%. Are those USA Typhoons?

The repop saddles turn up on Ebay frequently. The correct pedals can be had fairly easily too.

Is the ride quality better than the Panther? I never rode any of the Phantoms I owned, only the Panther.

Great choice! Looks like an easy project to get her to 100%. Are those USA Typhoons?

The repop saddles turn up on Ebay frequently. The correct pedals can be had fairly easily too.

Is the ride quality better than the Panther? I never rode any of the Phantoms I owned, only the Panther.
Thanks! I’m guessing the tires are repops, are there markings on the sidewall that would indicate whether they’re originals?

I would say that the ride quality is nearly identical, with maybe a slight edge to the Phantom, only because its springer is a bit more loose.

Thanks! I’m guessing the tires are repops, are there markings on the sidewall that would indicate whether they’re originals?

I would say that the ride quality is nearly identical, with maybe a slight edge to the Phantom, only because its springer is a bit more loose.
I'd have to check when I get home, but I think the original Typhoons on my Panther say 'Made in the USA' somewhere.

Back