When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

̶L̶o̶o̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶t̶ Purchased 1980's Bianchi Special this morning

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Just doing some research as well. Here is the share...
This - http://80rpm.blogspot.com/2009/07/history-behind-my-bianchi.html
this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clean-Bian...suntour-arx-road-bike-Araya-gold/293180944801
Looks like a different version of the same bike - https://offerup.com/item/detail/547894398/
this - https://bikeindex.org/bikes/119090
this - https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-...rth-appraisals/658353-84-bianchi-special.html

None of the examples has the same fork, which makes me think it was swapped out at some point.

@rennfaron Wow, thanks for taking the time to do that, and share. Do you mind me asking what search engine you use (I use Duck Duck Go)? I might have to switch (even if it's... the Google). I came up with none of those results, and I tried a few different key phrases / words.

Anyway, those links have eliminated any lingering doubt I may have had about this bike possibly being an '84. Disregarding the '84 Limited for a moment, there are two Specials identified as '84, and two which year aren't specified. They are all equipped differently than mine, and all have extra detail on the lugwork (very nice touch, I have to admit). I'm going to go out on a limb and assume all of those are 1984 bikes. They all have Shimano brakes, and Sake CR cranksets (as opposed to SR Custom). Three have the same Suntour ARX deraileurs, one, curiously, has Shimano 600 (looks like New 600 EX). Maybe late in '84 they decided to make it shift better? I don't know when ARX was discontinued. In any case, there are enough differences to infer that my bike is a different year. And I know it's not earlier than '83 or later than '84, so there I go.

The Limited is a nice bike, and shows up in the '82 catalog two levels up from the Special. It's a similar bike with some equipment, although the example in the listing has been modified. It also has a full CroMo frame and fork, which differs from the '82 Special "three tubes" CroMo. My '83 is full CroMo frame and fork.

I totally see what you mean about the fork, but I'm going to reserve judgement until I see a confirmed '83. One thing to note is that the '82 Special fork is finished like mine, and the '82 even has partial chrome seat and chain stays (yummy).

Sweet, sweet extra detail on 1984 lugwork:
Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 3.51.19 PM.png

1982 Special as depicted in catalog:
Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 3.47.46 PM.png

-----

Very fine detective work above! ;)

Regarding any small variations you may find within a given model and model year -

it sometimes happens that this is found. likely due to parts availability. small changes done to keep production rolling.

---

Forgot to mention in earlier post -

had one from this time come through whose steerer was stamped with the Bridgestone keystone symbol. took this to mean that either cycle produced by said firm or that tubing destined for them had been diverted to another maker...

have seen it posted elsewhere that some were done by Miki.

---

Component dating -

in case you, or other readers, have not found it already there is a secret decoder ring for these residing here -

http://www.vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm

-----

@rennfaron Wow, thanks for taking the time to do that, and share. Do you mind me asking what search engine you use (I use Duck Duck Go)? I might have to switch (even if it's... the Google). I came up with none of those results, and I tried a few different key phrases / words.

Anyway, those links have eliminated any lingering doubt I may have had about this bike possibly being an '84. Disregarding the '84 Limited for a moment, there are two Specials identified as '84, and two which year aren't specified. They are all equipped differently than mine, and all have extra detail on the lugwork (very nice touch, I have to admit). I'm going to go out on a limb and assume all of those are 1984 bikes. They all have Shimano brakes, and Sake CR cranksets (as opposed to SR Custom). Three have the same Suntour ARX deraileurs, one, curiously, has Shimano 600 (looks like New 600 EX). Maybe late in '84 they decided to make it shift better? I don't know when ARX was discontinued. In any case, there are enough differences to infer that my bike is a different year. And I know it's not earlier than '83 or later than '84, so there I go.

The Limited is a nice bike, and shows up in the '82 catalog two levels up from the Special. It's a similar bike with some equipment, although the example in the listing has been modified. It also has a full CroMo frame and fork, which differs from the '82 Special "three tubes" CroMo. My '83 is full CroMo frame and fork.

I totally see what you mean about the fork, but I'm going to reserve judgement until I see a confirmed '83. One thing to note is that the '82 Special fork is finished like mine, and the '82 even has partial chrome seat and chain stays (yummy).

Sweet, sweet extra detail on 1984 lugwork:

1982 Special as depicted in catalog:
Thanks. I just use google and slide all over the place until I find what I need. Generally there are about 50 tabs open at some point.

Edit / Update: I did purchase the bike.

It's been tough finding an early road / touring bike in my frame size, let alone something I think I want to ride. So this came up last night, and I'm going to look at it in an hour or so. Not much time for feedback, I get it, but basically if the bike fits me (it's within range, but I figure I'll probably end up putting on a shorter stem), I'll take a chance on it. So fire away with thoughts:

198(4?) Bianchi Special, 21" Suntour derailleur. It's local, so I didn't ask too many questions off the bat.

https://hartford.craigslist.org/bik/d/torrington-bianchi-special-road-bike/6966183942.html

View attachment 1054557
really beautiful bike ...... Something about bianchi that is irresistible. hope it serves you well !

Ive been eyeing a very similar one , locally sporting the exact same color , and panto-graph windowed lug work detail ...

nevR dull or coat of PB by art brush on those chrome socks is my always 1st step when im lucky enough to score those chrome socks

I love the fluted post .... theirs a lot of folks compelled to excessive worry over the flute allowing moisture to enter the down the seat tube ..... but they look awesome with some polish .... even better with picking up art brush and and enamel paint to paint the flutes yout contrast colors ( gold or blue it appears )

my take is .....testors model paints and artbrush beats your those paint sticks........... for me at at least ... my aim and control with those is like pissing drunk in the dark ......... but even so lug edge's are very forgiving to the eye ... when you dont get a perfect line... they still highlight well ... even from a distance

any way ... great score, bomber , happy riding !

Why do all the old hoods look like they were caught in a forest fire? Well, not all. Just the ones not cared for or stored properly...

Why do all the old hoods look like they were caught in a forest fire? Well, not all. Just the ones not cared for or stored properly...

Beat's me. Nicely glued to brake perch, as well.

On that note, can you, or anyone identify (or guide me how to) the brake levers on this bike? I see eBay auctions for hoods fitting the 202 / 204 levers, for not bad money. Hoping this will work with mine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIA-COMPE-...hoods-non-aero-style-1Pair-Amber/123873218988

And if anyone has seen this exact downtube "Bianchi" decal for sale, please let me know :)

Last edited:
Back