When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘40 Motorbike (crusty)

-
Excellent work! What is the "Little Brute" contraption that you straightened the forks with?

Yes the lil Brit’s I need one of those . It’s easy to make forks look straight I’ve done many hard part is making them ride straight need that Lil Brute ya have there I have a 40 schwinn rare no auto cycle jewel tank I need it straighten let us know ...
great job bringing it back from the dead !!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was the first time I used one and it worked great. Hopefully it translates into a straight ride once the bike is rolling again. Anyway, it's a great device and there is one for sale now here on the CABE:
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/little-brute-fork-straightener.145538/

You can youtube "little brute" for a demonstration. Very handy tool!

Small progress today...thanks to @Autocycleplane who dropped off a set of lobdell stamped drop centers with a rebuilt ‘40 morrow hub. Killer! Thanks Eric!

ac0b359de56187e4fa88057b0483211c.jpg

999a83dafef0cf4b1b10f0aab5fe82a3.jpg

8e1c2ab70fea3c3c3ee8966bb28716bb.jpg

b3925fe29c087a79f4a7160344d3dce7.jpg

Unfortunately, this is how she will sit for a while...have to lace up a hi-lo front drum but I can’t even get a standard hub to tension up correctly. Ugh! Oh well, I’ll just have to get really good at riding wheelies!!

Done!!! I have some place holders on the bike until I can find some decent ball end grips and silver brake cable housing. Huge thanks to the CABE community and in particular @Autocycleplane for the wheelset, Hi-lo drum and for lacing it up for me plus some smalls and guidance, @davek for some smalls and passion for prewar Schwinns...two of the finest prewar schwinn nuts in our community. Of course it seems all my bikes are equipped with a @bobcycles masterpiece saddle and rolling on @John chain treads is a must.

I was a little concerned about the fork after straightening it but it rides true. Bike just floats in the road...so comfortable with the tall frame too! Glad it’s built and road worthy once again.

Without further adieu...here is the Motorbike in the wild and no longer crusty...
56f24d4462423f5bfa1fcc2c0e6d5213.jpg

a50f5be050390b75361a63cd7c36861c.jpg

8c92aa2936539e18d0548e923fa5b62a.jpg

996f4d6e498af34fa8093bf460940dae.jpg

Last edited:
FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing your project from start to finish. Sounds like you're going to need two work stands around there pretty soon. Its a shame though, that proper precautions were not employed to prevent the inevitable "rear fender crunch".

Back