When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘48 Schwinn: mechanically refurbishing a crusty D37XE Ladies…

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I was thinking of replacing the entire saddle altogether. But then again, This project is keeping as much original as I can. Addressing the seat.

13 seat.jpg

Before: not so good. Was tempted to replace.

13b seat.jpg

Good golly, isn't this pretty? This took about an hour to break down. Had to cut the spring bolts from between the spring.

13c seat.jpg

Straightened up one of the upper springs. I got this seat from our friend Mr. Gary Quail. This seat is in such great condition, didn't seem right to put something so pretty on this bike. But then again, this lady will be ridden by Mi Amor, so justified. New M7 metric bolts and washers.

13d seat.jpg

NOS or restored?

13e seat.jpg

Fits perfectly. Anyone have any extra? Missing the two tabs. I'll be on a look out for them.

14a new old grips.jpg

Found some appropriate Schwinn chubby grips for this '48

14 grips removed.jpg

Grips removed. The chrome under the old grips is incredible.

She's almost done. Just need to address the front torpedo light and an issue with the springer.

Last edited:
Nice day yesterday to do a little more work on this rusty lady. Though the light was missing just the top, to me that small part alone made or break the overall look of the bike. Without it, just seemed incomplete. I had to find one. Sent a message Ken, and fortunately for us, he found one, a Delta top. Perfect, and still had the tab too.

16a found a top for the light.jpg

Got this Delta Torpedo light top from Hastings

16b found a top for the light.jpg

Looks like someone was already in the process of removing the rust

16c found a top for the light.jpg

In my case, I needed to do the opposite

16d aging topedo light.jpg

Did some massaging to straighten out the horizontal dent.

16e aging topedo light.jpg

After a day and half process, she now has a more weathered look to match

16f aging topedo light.jpg

16g before.jpg

Before...

16j torpedo light done.jpg

...after

16h before.jpg

16i torpedo light done.jpg

Last edited:
When I first saw this bike, my first impression was how the rust throughout the bike was so consistent. That’s a cool look I said to myself. I knew right away what my intentions would be, as I told the previous owner…that I would keep her as found and just mechanically go through the bike and replace any bad parts. That’s it. I wouldn’t try to remove the rust or even clean her, keeping the “as found” look.

A couple of years ago, we went to the spring Alameda, CA swap meet, and I saw Chris @slick. He was selling a few bikes there. One of them was a prewar Shelby lady’s bike, similar condition to this project. Chris being Chris, he pointed a few things educating us on the differences of Shelby made bikes. “Take her for a ride,” Chris said to my wife. “Try it love,” I told her. So, Mi Amor took the Shelby for a ride. She comes back with a look of disbelief stating how nice the bike rides. “I get to try it now,” I told Chris, so off I went. Oooh, this Shelby rides smooth and how nicely she rode. Because of how she looks all rusty showing barely any color, one would think otherwise. But it was just the opposite.

With this ’48 Schwinn, I had a similar goal in mind. May not look like much, crusty with heavy rust throughout, leave the look of the bike alone, but to make her ride as smooth and as nicely as I can. I honestly don’t know how my wife will feel. To tell you the truth, I probably wanted this project more for me than for her. I knew while going through her mechanically that she would ride nice. Maybe because she wasn’t ridden much at all, the races and cones all throughout were still in incredible shape as is most of the bearings, having only replaced a few bad ones. With wheels trued and gone through, a Schwinn springer fork, new Messinger seat top, new rubber and new used grips, hoping my wife will be impressed by not how she looks, but more on how nice a rider this project turned out to be.

18 before.jpg

Before...

18 Rusty is done.jpg

...and after. Not much difference. The overall look pretty much stayed the same.

18a Rusty is done.jpg

18c Rusty is done.jpg

18d Rusty is done.jpg

Last edited:
When I first saw this bike, my first impression was how the rust throughout the bike was so consistent. That’s a cool look I said to myself. I knew right away what my intentions would be, as I told the previous owner…that I would keep her as found and just mechanically go through the bike and replace any bad parts. That’s it. I wouldn’t try to remove the rust or even clean her, keeping the “as found” look.

A couple of years ago, we went to the spring Alameda, CA swap meet, and I saw Chris @slick. He was selling a few bikes there. One of them was a prewar Shelby lady’s bike, similar condition to this project. Chris being Chris, he pointed a few things educating us on the differences of Shelby made bikes. “Take her for a ride,” Chris said to my wife. “Try it love,” I told her. So, Mi Amor took the Shelby for a ride. She comes back with a look of disbelief stating how nice the bike rides. “I get to try it now,” I told Chris, so off I went. Oooh, this Shelby rides smooth and how nicely she rode. Because of how she looks all rusty showing barely any color, one would think otherwise. But it was just the opposite.

With this ’48 Schwinn, I had a similar goal in mind. May not look like much, crusty with heavy rust throughout, leave the look of the bike alone, but to make her ride as smooth and as nicely as I can. I honestly don’t know how my wife will feel. To tell you the truth, I probably wanted this project more for me than for her. I knew while going through her mechanically that she would ride nice. Maybe because she wasn’t ridden much at all, the races and cones all throughout were still in incredible shape as is most of the bearings, having only replaced a few bad ones. With wheels trued and gone through, a Schwinn springer fork, new Messinger seat top, new rubber and new used grips, hoping my wife will be impressed by not how she looks, but more on how nice a rider this project turned out to be.

View attachment 1799794
Before...

View attachment 1799795
...and after. Not much difference. The overall look pretty much stayed the same, which is what I wanted.

View attachment 1799796

View attachment 1799797

View attachment 1799798

View attachment 1799803
Th
Definitely not much difference. Thanks for sharing her story. Next chapter??

You saved it from the scrap heap and made it a rider.... well done. I wish more ladies bikes were saved but as you know most end up getting parted out.
Thanks Todd. After decades of just sitting in one place, I'm thrilled to see this lady Schwinn riding again.

A few more pics...

18abc Rusty is done.jpg

Delta torpedo top loader

18abcd Rusty is done.jpg

Trains, Plains, & Automobile badge

18b Rusty is done.jpg

New chain...

18f Rusty is done.jpg

18g Messenger B1 Deluxe.jpg

18j Left the wire on.jpg

The DX chain guard was missing the front faster, so they used metal wire to hold in place.

18ja Left the wire on.jpg

And since this was how I found her, decided to leave the wire in addition to securing the guard with appropriate fastener.

18k St Christopher.jpg

Last edited:
Back