‘53 Monark Silver King Rocket pricing

This ad disappears when logged in

ZE52414

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Dec 6, 2016
Peoria, United States
Going back to post #12. What is your definition of restoration? I’m confused, would someone really be dumb enough to repaint this bike? OR
Is Your idea of a restoration just cleaning it up?

Nashman

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Oct 2, 2016
Winnipeg, Canada
"Restoration" in my mind is a repaint, complete refurbish of the major parts of the bike being chrome, paint etc. The term is used rather loosely by many. I consider a "detailing" or a partial refurbish of existing finish, paint and chrome, rubber etc., not a restoration. Even replacement of certain parts ( seat, pedals, grips, tires) are not really a full restoration, but part of a ( perhaps being partially resto'd) freshening up of a nice original bicycle. Of course everyone will have a different opinion of these terms and idea on what is correct.

I've been in the hobby over 30 years and don't consider myself an expert on anything, but agree that an original bicycle ( only detailed/cleaned up/perhaps made more correct with proper parts) holds more appeal/value than a total restoration.

I've done both on quite a few bikes over many years. Original will always be original. If this seller was overly optimistic on value in asking price, so be it. It's easier to come down in $$ than go up. I think the comment about post war bikes having a $2000.00 ceiling is laughable ( comment #20). How about an original Bowden?...minty Krates. Killer original Panthers, Phantoms, Colorflows, Radiobikes... etc. and on..and on..and on... Just my 2 cents. ( or 1.5 cents being Canadian and having a lower dollar)

Cheers,

Bobby Nashman/Nash

twinflight

Finally riding a big boys bike
Nov 13, 2017
Minnesota, United States
www.facebook.com
It’s currently undergoing a ‘recondition’. I’m not stripping the paint. I may polish it but I’m undecided. The light is being rebuilt and is working. A new NOS lens and top half came in the mail. With my day job I’ll be lucky to have it tuned within a month or two.

The oxidation—I’d like to get it polished up and redo the red pinstripes on the tank shrouds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

danfitz1

Finally riding a big boys bike
Aug 5, 2017
Peoria, IL, United States
I think the comment about post war bikes having a $2000.00 ceiling is laughable ( comment #20). How about an original Bowden?...minty Krates. Killer original Panthers, Phantoms, Colorflows, Radiobikes... etc. and on..and on..and on
The gentleman's comment was 'most deluxe postwar bikes will never see the high side of $2k.' Pretty accurate, unless you modify it to fit your narrative. Makes me wonder if you work for CNN or MSNBC.

oldfart36

I live for the CABE
May 2, 2012
Parsons, United States
I’d say keep messing with it and cleaning it and redo the pin stripes...and then it will sell for about $1,000. Sounds darling!
Ya, 1,200 dollar bike on a good day, and owner is busy turning it into and 850 bike. Oh well, LOL

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
Actually the owner says he is really just cleaning the bike and trying to repair the light back to original condition. His approach is not to destroy the originality of the bike. I believe a good detailing cleaning will make the bike more attractivve to buyers especially if you are trying to wring top $$$ out of it. Regarding value; as we know rarity doesn't necessarily equal value. My statement about postwar bikes holds water if you look at how many bikes actually sell for more than $2k vs. the number of bikes offered. V/r Shawn

Nashman

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Oct 2, 2016
Winnipeg, Canada
The gentleman's comment was 'most deluxe postwar bikes will never see the high side of $2k.' Pretty accurate, unless you modify it to fit your narrative. Makes me wonder if you work for CNN or MSNBC.
I suppose the key word is "most" and I agree with that. Value is something that is agreed at between a seller and a buyer ONLY on a personal one on one basis, not a benchmark or precedent.

Look at Barrett Jackson ( and others) car auctions. Now that is REALLY laughable. Whoever has the deepest pockets and the biggest ego walks away with a true market price? Do those prices state the TRUE market value of those cars? Sorry...I digress.

When any hobby or market becomes all about money then it's no longer a hobby but an investment. My jobs at CNN and MSNBC have qualified me to make these observations, ( ha!!) but it's only one man's opinion. If you are interested in reading a great article from a really qualified writer/Aaron Robinson on values and auctions, read this one posted in the Hagerty motorsport magazine MAY/JUNE. https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/06/12/classic-cars-as-assets-missing-the-point

If I hear nothing but dollar values when someone is talking passionate about any hobby, I tend to be turned off. The passion is really about money. Therefore I'll step away from this posted thread.

razinhellcustomz

Wore out three sets of tires already!
May 28, 2018
kiel wisconsin
My next step was to take some better quality pictures. However, it’s going to look hokey without a complete light. Value creation is everything. Also, it’s a roller, not a rider. The kickstand rubs against the tire. A simple fix but I’d like to see how it rides. I’d do a restoration however someone pointed out that I’d risk harming the pinstripes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Leave it ALONE!! Adjust the kick stand and ride it like it is. Razin. P.S. Please don't restore a SURVIVOR Bike. It will just ruin it.

razinhellcustomz

Wore out three sets of tires already!
May 28, 2018
kiel wisconsin
I bought my first car in the seventies for $50.00. Now days you can't hardly buy an old bike for tiwce that price. Oh well. Ride on. Razin.
I suppose the key word is "most" and I agree with that. Value is something that is agreed at between a seller and a buyer ONLY on a personal one on one basis, not a benchmark or precedent.

Look at Barrett Jackson ( and others) car auctions. Now that is REALLY laughable. Whoever has the deepest pockets and the biggest ego walks away with a true market price? Do those prices state the TRUE market value of those cars? Sorry...I digress.

When any hobby or market becomes all about money then it's no longer a hobby but an investment. My jobs at CNN and MSNBC have qualified me to make these observations, ( ha!!) but it's only one man's opinion. If you are interested in reading a great article from a really qualified writer/Aaron Robinson on values and auctions, read this one posted in the Hagerty motorsport magazine MAY/JUNE. https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/06/12/classic-cars-as-assets-missing-the-point

If I hear nothing but dollar values when someone is talking passionate about any hobby, I tend to be turned off. The passion is really about money. Therefore I'll step away from this posted thread.
I totally AGREE!! Way to many money GRUBBERS in the hobby now days. It should be like it was back in the 80's. Razin.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture