When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘53 Monark Silver King Rocket pricing

-
Hi Josh, I PMed you some pricing info the other day on your FB. Here is a little more info I have been able to find out on these bikes since finding mine a little over a year ago.

I started keeping a registry of all the known Rocket Deluxe Bikes I have been able to find. Yours makes number 9 and is by my standards the 2nd nicest and most original one to date. From what I can tell, and have been told, this "Deluxe" version of the standard Monark Rocket that includes the metal tank shrouds was only made in 1953. Or at least of the 9 I have found all are from '53. The main characteristic that set this bike apart from the basic Rocket is the tank shrouds. The single springer fork is also a unique point, but the single springer was also used on other Monark Rockets, and Airman bikes over the years (I have 7 bikes w/ single springers). So far as I can tell they were offered in only 2 color options, the Sea Green/Pastel Aqua like yours & mine, and Black & Red version. They also did a girls version, of which I only know of 2. and one is only a tank, but they do also feature the shrouds. They seem to have been 2 tone blue or black & yellow. They were also sold and badged as a Super Chief. One last note is all the Rockets seem to be Model # 4260, but some have the letter C or D after the model number, and the Super Chief's were model # 67 258.

I have wanted to start a seperate Registry thread showing and listing the bikes I know of with pictures, and hopefully others will add more.

Holy poopballs, only 9 are still around?!!!Thats amazing. I really appreciate the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My next step was to take some better quality pictures. However, it’s going to look hokey without a complete light. Value creation is everything. Also, it’s a roller, not a rider. The kickstand rubs against the tire. A simple fix but I’d like to see how it rides. I’d do a restoration however someone pointed out that I’d risk harming the pinstripes.

I just can't ignore your last post! Your use of the word "Restoration", well, "Someone", didn't point out enough to you! It's your bike, do what you want!
All I'll say is:
1. The bike doesn't need to be restored!
2. If you want to insure destroying the value the bike does have, restoring it will do that!!
3. Nice survivors don't come around every day! Maintenance, some cleaning and attention to the light! Boom done!

Last edited:
I agree with oldfart36, light cleaning only, check and regrease the bearings, adjust the tires so they don't rub. Ride it! Enjoy it!

or, I'm not sure what you mean by "value creation is everything" I'm guessing that means you plan to sell it and want to do whatever you can to increase the value? If that's the case, you are better off leaving it alone and letting the final owner do it the way he wants. I also agree with oldfart's #2. It is easier to decrease the value by restoring it or partial restoring it. They are only original survivors once.

I just can't ignore your last post! Your use of the word "Restoration", well, "Someone", didn't point out enough to you! It's your bike, do what you want!
All I'll say is:
2. If you want to insure destroying the value the bike does have, restoring it will do that!!
3. Nice survivors don't come around every day! Maintenance, some cleaning and attention to the light! Boom done!

Agreed. Just waiting on parts for the light. A complete riding bike is the goal.

All I'll say is:

Frankly, I’m confused. How would polishing a bike decrease the value? A survivor, yes, but it’s oxidized. The only way to paint match the upper half of the light is to polish the rest of the bike. Gotta get rid of the oxidation so you know what the color is.

Back to the original question posed by the OP. The nicest one of these sold with an asking price of $1800 March of last year https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1947-original-paint-monark-rocket.126788/ . Rare and desirable are two different things. The rarest bike I own (1934 Huffman balloon tire Camelback-1 known) probably wouldn't bring $1k but relatively common stuff like Aerocycles and Bluebirds will fetch big money all day long. The Rocket wasn't even the top-of-the-line Monark offering during those years. A nice model no doubt and the likelihood of two showing up at the ride is about zero--unless you're in Missouri! All that said most deluxe postwar bikes will never see the high side of $2k. Jus my 2c. V/r Shawn

Back