When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘53 Monark Silver King Rocket pricing

-
Please forgive me, I'm way late to the party here... I was sorry to see this bike cleaned up, despite what a good job the seller did.

I wanted this bike for myself immediately when I saw the as found photos of it. Much of that allure was the idea of cleaning and fixing it up myself, or having the choice to leave it exactly as found. Had I discovered this thread before the seller did anything to it, my addition to the conversation would have been - if you're going to sell the bike, then leave it completely as found and let the new owner have the utter and abject joy of cleaning and tinkering with it himself if he (or she) so chooses. Once you clean it, or alter it from that as found, original state, you've taken away age and patina that cannot be put back, and robbed the new owner of the choice.

I would have paid much more for this bike before it was cleaned than after, probably double. 90% of that bike's value to me was the as found, undisturbed condition. I suspect that was the allure to many other collectors as well. Ultimately, it appears to have dawned on the seller himself that the fun is in the making it his own as he's decided to keep it.

It should be a cautionary tale to others who find original bikes like this; decide if you're going to sell or keep. If you're going to keep it, do whatever you want with it. But if you're going to sell and want to preserve the value to others, leave it completely alone, and as found. Condition is where all the value usually resides for me. I would have left this bike exactly as found, missing the top of the light even, and paid a bunch for the privilege.. I wish I had seen it when it was first posted, I would have... well woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Thank you. I have and do own, post war Monarks, Rockets, and Firestones. Had a couple of aluminum Silver Kings which looking back did nothing for me personally. the Rockets I owned were the single springer rather than the base model. I was just curious to know what was the incentive to buy a top of the line Rocket over a top of the line Monark (Super Deluxe). Price? Or just the retail outlets that were offering bikes? Monark Super Deluxe is a Firestone Super Cruiser. Simpler times with simpler decisions to make. My other question about the purpose of the original thread was answered. Appraisal. List it here on CABE or through it into E-bay. If it sells and gets paid for that is the value.

The Super Deluxe, Firestone Super Cruiser, Cycle King, Holiday, etc.. were all the same bike and equipped similarly with different color schemes, graphics, and maybe badge depending. The Rocket was the next tier down and generally did not have the better pedals, seat, rack, etc... as the top tier bikes. The selling point was having top-of-the-line much like a full boogie Autocycle over a Motorbike. BTW the OP did put a price on it https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1953-monark-silver-king-rocket.160451/#post-1089337 V/r Shawn

Please forgive me, I'm way late to the party here... I was sorry to see this bike cleaned up, despite what a good job the seller did.

I wanted this bike for myself immediately when I saw the as found photos of it. Much of that allure was the idea of cleaning and fixing it up myself, or having the choice to leave it exactly as found. Had I discovered this thread before the seller did anything to it, my addition to the conversation would have been - if you're going to sell the bike, then leave it completely as found and let the new owner have the utter and abject joy of cleaning and tinkering with it himself if he (or she) so chooses. Once you clean it, or alter it from that as found, original state, you've taken away age and patina that cannot be put back, and robbed the new owner of the choice.

I would have paid much more for this bike before it was cleaned than after, probably double. 90% of that bike's value to me was the as found, undisturbed condition. I suspect that was the allure to many other collectors as well. Ultimately, it appears to have dawned on the seller himself that the fun is in the making it his own as he's decided to keep it.

It should be a cautionary tale to others who find original bikes like this; decide if you're going to sell or keep. If you're going to keep it, do whatever you want with it. But if you're going to sell and want to preserve the value to others, leave it completely alone, and as found. Condition is where all the value usually resides for me. I would have left this bike exactly as found, missing the top of the light even, and paid a bunch for the privilege.. I wish I had seen it when it was first posted, I would have... well woulda, coulda, shoulda.

I get it. However, people are free to change their minds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, cool bike (I've said this before in the past), trim package has alot to do with the year! While most of us Monark lovers would consider this a Deluxe Rocket, it is not the Holy Grail of Monarks, just a cool variation of the Rocket! In the ad I read "NOS" replacement for the headlight cover, for example, Would love to see or hear the story behind that. You have a nice bike, but I doubt even the "Hipsters" would pay what your asking. If your truly wanting to sell, climb back down to earth and get real. The people saying your price on the bike is real, have them show you the money, and cough it up. Some of us remember your stories of the 5K offers on the table a few months back!

Well said Justin!

Back