When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘61 Radiant Green Corvette 5 speed Rehab

-
I know you're a SBF member so do a search over there on Radiant Green paint match. There were a few members there that used the Metalcast Green and I believe krankrate? was one of them. Twomorestrokes (spelling) was also looking for green Jag match. I haven't used Testors paint since I was a teen so I'm not sure if the Emerald Green is a very small metallic paint or not. They did have a few candy colors back in the mid 60's but I don't think any were green. I've used the Dupli-Color Intense Blue for the Radiant Blue but that paint is a metallic. The color matches the Radiant Blue very well but you have to paint a complete part or section and it is noticeable up close since it's not a candy sprayed over an aluminum base.

Weather has finally been warm enough to get out to the garage and back to this project. Did lots of parts cleaning inside, but needed to be in the garage for a number of reasons. Here is partial assembly at this point.

68289928-A6AF-4006-AF38-C0089ED99BD8.jpeg

Fenders cleaned up very well. Very few dings in the actual fenders. Stays are another matter. They will need further cleaning and then painting.

3EEA70A0-7E1B-4CB5-81AC-4E41EC9644D6.jpeg

5C58680B-D584-47CD-9DB7-5390197983DD.jpeg

Rack cleaned up nice on the aluminum parts. Metal parts are still a bit dingy.

8A2E9040-03D9-4300-8682-B2084C116DBD.jpeg

Crank, sprocket, and pedals are similar. Look decent from a distance, but have pitting seen up close.

ED76D2C2-F13E-430F-8183-B5F0E3D0F74A.jpeg

Handle bars came off a donor ‘63 Co—Ed. Will still need to re-build back wheel. All that is salvageable from that is the hub, sprocket, derailleur, and spoke nipples (maybe).

Cleaned the chain and is now dried out. Should I soak the chain in something before putting it back on the bike?

Glad to see you're making some progress!
1557290985197.png

What I normally do with the old chains after cleaning is soak them in a small bowl of motor oil. Then I hang it up and let it drip dry for a day or more. Before I install it I wipe it down real good a few times and then call it done until I put a few miles on it. After messing with quite a few old chains off geared bikes I've decided that saving these used 58 year old chains is a waste of time. Once you start riding the bike and going thru the gears you'll start to notice the symptoms of a worn out chain. On my 62 Corvette rider I was having some issues so I took the chain off, stretched it out and measured it. Seems it was worn enough to where it gained 3/4" in the overall length but it still "looked" like a new chain. Measure the chain and see if it's stretched, then decide if you want to use it.

I had good results refinishing fender braces by media blasting,metal prepping then coating with a satin clear from a rattle can. You can skip the metal prep if you use silica in place of plastic media. You just need be careful,it can warp them. Good luck

Where did you find the oxalic acid in a liquid? New to the OA but it looks like good results on the rust? Any help appreciated! Thanks

I would leave it alone myself. All of the imperfections add character and show the bike's age. As they say, you can always repaint a bike, but it is only original once. -Trevor

Back