When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘61 Radiant Green Corvette 5 speed Rehab

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Your cleanup efforts are looking good. In the past I’ve used the duplicoor “chrome” spray can paint for the fender braces that were originally cad plated. A light coat of that is a near dead on match. But I know what you mean, the paint will not really ever look like shiny real chrome. Keep up the good work.
Jay

Nice job schwinnlax! I have one in Red that is/was in about the same condition, it came from upper New York and it needs your help. :) It was packed in snow for shipping so the frame rusted up and the rear fender got smashed in. The head badge also fell off during shipping and I'm glad it didn't fall out of the box where the fork legs punched thru.

Corvette 5 Speed 022 (Medium).jpg

Well, that's a new one - packed in snow??? How disappointing it ended up with all that damage. What is its current status?

Well, that's a new one - packed in snow??? How disappointing it ended up with all that damage. What is its current status?

That one is still in as found condition. I pulled the fender out and assembled the bike, that's all I've done to it. I've been trying to convince myself it needs a repaint. There are numerous areas all over the frame that looks like someone took a chain and beat the crap out of it. Then there are some super nice areas where the paint is beautiful. It's definitely one of those "What should I do with it" cases. I lost count, but I think I have 8 of these and not one is Radiant Green. Thought about redoing this one in Green. ;)

Finished up the seat yesterday. The vinyl cleaned up ok, but there is definite permanent discoloration. Painted the seat bracket black and the springs and crash rail chrome. Used the same chrome paint as on the rear reflector, but it turned out much better on the metal parts. Re-routed the rear brake cable; I discovered that was routed incorrectly. At this point this project is complete. As I see better replacement parts (pedals, headset chrome, etc.) I will do replacements. Thanks for all the help and encouragement here!

A6B0C58C-FEE4-4308-8CBE-26CCDC330865.jpeg

CF31AA6D-9EDB-4160-9ABE-E39A83A61347.jpeg

0C77E572-4DEF-41B9-8AC7-A1F71881A664.jpeg

4737EA5C-20A4-49FD-A3F2-E517A1D062FB.jpeg

Thanks, here's a shot from the original for sale ad on the CABE:

R Side.jpg

After:
61 Corvette 5 right.JPG

Issues fixed/rehabbed from bottom to top:

Rims rusted (rear one replaced with donor from '63 American)
Pedals, crank, sprocket rusted
Chain rusted (replaced with new)
Chain guard rusted
Forks bent
Headset chrome, seat post clamp, seat post rusted
Handlebars/stem rusted beyond saving (replaced with donor from '63 Co-Ed)
Derailleur rusted, freewheel rusted on (disassembled to take off)
Bend in right side cantilever bar
Rear reflector broken at top screw hole, chrome finish gone
Fender stays rusted
Seat springs, bracket rusted
Seat crash bar rusted, bent
Front rack oxidized

Last touch will be to wax the frame for protection against more rust and to brighten up the original paint.

Last edited:
What OA mix ratio are you using? You might get better results with a stronger mix and way less time. After doing my first couple bikes I found the OA loses it's potency over time. Depending on what I'm soaking and how bad it is, I'll go with one heaping tablespoon or two per gallon of hot tap water and soak for about 8 hours. I doubt the crash rail would look much better though, the chrome unfortunately is pretty much gone.
Exactly the ratio and time I use.

Back