When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘61 Radiant Green Corvette 5 speed Rehab

-
What other bikes used the same derailleur? There’s a ‘65 Varsity for sale cheap that I could harvest parts from, but wonder if the derailleur is the same?

What other bikes used the same derailleur? There’s a ‘65 Varsity for sale cheap that I could harvest parts from, but wonder if the derailleur is the same?

The jockey cage on the Corvette's derailleur is pretty unique to that Schwinn model but I've seen a couple 62 Schwinn lightweights with it and (1) JC Higgins. There were two versions of the Jockey cage at the beginning in 1961 and the Corvette had the 4 prong tension hooks and the Continental and others had the three prongs for the most part. Those were used thru the 1963 model year on the Schwinns. In 64 they used the Sprint badged Huret Allvit but it still had the same guts and 3 prong jockey cage as the 61 three prong. The jockey wheels were all steel until another change with the 1966 models. The two Corvette 5 speed sticky's on the SBF has all the info and hopefully the pictures of the derailleurs and both styles of jockey cages.

If that 65 Varsity has it's correct derailleur and it's not a 65 serial numbered 66 model, most all the guts are the same. The early issue Allvits had a cheap plastic swivel stop that was prone to breaking and I'm not sure what year they changed that part for the metal swivel stop.

That actual parts are the three prong cage halves and the illustration has the four prong cages.

Huret.jpg

62 Lightweight Owners Manual

1561956294681.png

Last edited:
Back