When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘64 Sting-Ray Legit?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So I couldn’t resist the law of N+1. Seller was asking $600 and took $500. My wife doesn’t understand but I’m sure you guys will - I needed a rat Sting-Ray.

And you can do a ratty personal repaint on that puppy too. ;)

Clean it a little bit and preserve what’s there with Gibbs oil. After studying this bike for days, reading your posts about the paint issues (and your pointing out the trace of red primer) I think it is original paint. Seller says he bought it off the original owner and there is a name scratched into the bottom of the crank housing. Seller added the Persons seat and bar, but the rest of the bike is allegedly original (who really knows, right?). My wife’s ‘68 Slik Chik is immaculate (like her) so this one will stay scruffy (like me).

Seller just sent a pic of the name etched on the bike: Shawn Woods. I also see fresh grease by the sprocket. I’ll be interested to see if the crank is a ‘63-‘65.

F79A3E4B-9A12-4DE6-9CC7-35E95A46323A.jpeg

That SR would be considered a 65 model and the volume that Schwinn was producing these, it should have a 65 dated crank.

Remember the new paint that GM and others were using in the mid/late 70's and 80's? I purchased a new 1984 Z/28 H.O. during the evening hours from a local dealer and the next day I took a close look at the finish. I could see the black primer underneath the Beige paint. Brand new car and it had to be repainted.

1543698551448.png

I’m sure it was built and sold as a ‘65. Sprocket looks mighty shiny and with the fresh grease I won’t be surprised to find a later crank installed. Might be pleasantly surprised.

That is one butt ugly Z-28 in your post. The 80’s weren’t very good years in Detroit.

Had several Chrysler products that lost their paint, too.

Just a whisp of Schwinn Sting-Ray remains on the chain guard...

Crank is a ‘64. Rear S-2 is double-knurled and center stamped, with a RB2 Bendix. Handlebar is stamped Schwinn on the knurling. Frame is a December ‘64 build. Confident it’s real Sting-Ray, circa 1965.

6E0658CC-632D-48D5-BFDA-E576ABA29E10.jpeg

A43DC083-26B5-4A13-9CF4-FF452E78F96A.jpeg

5F44D43B-4F8E-46CF-9553-0F6C395F3CD1.jpeg

Now that I have the bike in my possession I’m confident it is original, but it is good to see examples of other bikes with the same issue. Prefer peeling paint to shiny restorations; good to see you left yours as is. Thanks for posting.

Back