When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘64 Sting-Ray Legit?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Figured I knew my Sting-Rays, but what is the significance of N4 beyond December 64? Last of that type of serial system before the new serial numbering came along?

Figured I knew my Sting-Rays, but what is the significance of N4 beyond December 64? Last of that type of serial system before the new serial numbering came along?

Did you find out what the significance of an N4 serial was, I'm curious also? There were other years where the serial numbers were being stamped during the the last days of December and I'm sure the Sting Ray was not the only model to have an N4 serial.

Did you find out what the significance of an N4 serial was, I'm curious also? There were other years where the serial numbers were being stamped during the the last days of December and I'm sure the Sting Ray was not the only model to have an N4 serial.

From what I can tell, N4 not only was the last two weeks of December ‘64, but was also the last use of this type of serial number. January ‘65 frames were stamped AA,, and that format was used through the bitter end.

I’ve cleaned the bike up a little (very little), and added a few of my own touches. Believe a lot of this bike has been together a long time. Stoked to have an authentic J38, at least the vast majority of a J38.

8F05A70B-D2CB-4AB4-8FAA-4B711B98A3DA.jpeg

2CDF8F5B-C56C-4A00-AA87-498D921642E7.jpeg

Last edited:
The N4 serial designation was used only during a brief period in December 1964 is the main reason why it’s special. It was a period of only like 11 days or so roughly.

I tried to find another thread on this to reference but the matter is a bit scattered.

I believe it's original paint. Schwinn had some paint issues starting in 1963, especially with the new flamboyant colors and I've seen this many times. I don't know if they were experimenting with different types of silver base paint or maybe changed paint suppliers, but this is pretty common during these years. The silver base is tough as nails but the color coat just doesn't adhere to it. I had a 64 Flamboyant Lime Varsity when I was a kid and that paint was crap. I ended up repainting the frame when the bike was about 3 1/2 years old because the Lime candy was just falling off like on this Sting Ray. The Sting Ray does have the red oxide primer though.

View attachment 911335

Looks to be original paint to me also

Here’s a pic of the chainguard. The white dot is all that’s left of the original paint/screen. It’s the dot on the “I” of the word Sting. You can just make out the ghost of the word Sting-Ray if you look close. The Slik is dated June of ‘68. I’ve had it stashed for years waiting for the right bike. This is the right bike.

9D0E02A4-FA69-4E4A-BB8E-983E6AE48F11.jpeg

I was told N4 were built during the holiday shutdown, Christmas thru New Years. the demand for a StingRays was so high workers were offered OT to come in during break. M4 # were done for the year so they went to the next letter.

That SR would be considered a 65 model and the volume that Schwinn was producing these, it should have a 65 dated crank.

Remember the new paint that GM and others were using in the mid/late 70's and 80's? I purchased a new 1984 Z/28 H.O. during the evening hours from a local dealer and the next day I took a close look at the finish. I could see the black primer underneath the Beige paint. Brand new car and it had to be repainted.

View attachment 911813

Back