When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘68 Raleigh Sprite 5 speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Intense One

I live for the CABE
Picked up a Raleigh Sprite at a local swap yesterday mainly for the cool pedals unlike on my other Raleighs and for the ‘68 Sturmey Archer S5 hub. Thought at first it was a 3 speed with only a right side indicator chain and a 3 speed thumb shifter until I saw S5 and 5 speed on the hub shell. Did a little research and noticed I’m missing the left shifter chain and a friction shift lever. Question: wondering if I can run a left chain indicator(shift chain) to a simple friction style shifter from a vintage road bike or do I need to locate a hard to find, reasonably priced original S/A dual shifting levers? I may use this hub on another project and may bypass traditional and hopefully find, reasonably priced, a dual lever side by side top bar shifter. Thank you.

IMG_1270.png

Should be 40 hole, if it is actually an S5. When it was new, it would have had the version with the bell crank on the left, instead of a pull chain. There were three versions of the bell crank, and, the early, stamped sheet metal bell crank is required to use the early, threaded nail. The other two versions of the bell crank, along with an actual shifter, like the version illustrated, above, have become pricy in the last few years. I often simply tap the bell crank for a Shimano three speed hub to fit the Sturmey Archer hub and run that-you can buy 50 Shimano bell cranks for the cost of a genuine Sturmey. A .401 drill bit and a discarded Sturmey 3 speed axle with a V cut in the end will get you there. It is not as hard as it sounds.

It takes just a few parts to convert a regular AW 3 speed hub to early, S5 configuration. I use a homeless friction 10 speed shifter for the left, and a regular Sturmey 3 speed shifter on the right. Both my Sprite and my DL1 Roadster have had their 3 speed hubs converted to S5 configuration. Because, I can. You will need to serve your apprenticeship to run this hub, because there will be nobody else to work on it, except you. The adjustments are a bit more fiddley than an AW, but, with a 21 tooth rear sprocket installed, an S5 is so worth it.

The spring on the left makes for simpler adjustment of the high/low side of the hub. I’m told they used something similar on the 5 speed version of the Chopper, but, I’ve never seen one. The Shimano bell crank is more efficient than the Sturmey version, and the shift will only require 1/4 turn of the shifter, instead of 1/2 turn, that the Sturmey bell crank requires.

The illustration, above, is of an S52. Totally different (and, inferior) hub. When I find an S52 hub, I usually rob the non-undercut sun gear out of it, as in theory, anyway, it should engage more solidly than the undercut versions. In theory. I’ve never actually had a problem with either version. Non undercut shown on left.

IMG_1853.jpeg

Both the Sprite and the DL-1 have Shimano bell cranks installed, and have completed multiple Lake Pepin 3 Speed Tours, under my fat behind. I’ve never actually done Lake Pepin with a 3 speed, as all I had on hand were S5 bikes for about a decade, and the tour guide said any bike with an English internal gear hub, was welcome.

Ted

IMG_2275.jpeg

IMG_1963.jpeg

IMG_1961.jpeg

IMG_1046.jpeg

IMG_1047.jpeg

Last edited:
Back