When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘68 Stingray 5 Speed

-

Intense One

I live for the CABE
checking out a Schwinn Stingray 5 Speed in Campus green. Was curious about the bottom bracket area of the bike at the welds. Is that a typical connection? All rough looking.
C7D0ACA3-01A1-4A45-A3DE-E6E9E0B9BAD7.jpeg
FB0688E0-0765-4B84-9F88-A911F8C1BBAE.jpeg
Appears at some time someone engraved I’d info into bottom bracket Everything works fine but was concerned about any damage. Thanks.

Just looked at the bottom bracket area of my '68 and yeah that is typical. Except for those engraved numbers. Must be some sort of ID

Just looked at the bottom bracket area of my '68 and yeah that is typical. Except for those engraved numbers. Must be some sort of i.d.
They definitely didn't do "buttery" smooth welds on the stingrays. I'm sure back in '65 I wasn't concerned about buttery smooth welds when I was puttin' on my Stingray!

Yeah but very cool bikes. You could overlook that now even as an adult. I do at 64 years old.

Pretty typical on post war EF bikes. The welds on the chain stays to BB, inside of the dropouts on chain and seat stays and BB shell were never cleaned up, but all the other joints were. Some are worse than others too.

I thought I may add to your post, the local Schwinn Dealer in Louisville, KY would also engrave bikes with names, initials, birthdates or socials where ever you would like for a dollar, if I can find the ad on my computer I will show you, I had a suburban I bought locally that had the owners birthday and initials on the bottom bracket, so those numbers may have had significance to the original owner! Just thought you'd like to know!

Aaron

I thought I may add to your post, the local Schwinn Dealer in Louisville, KY would also engrave bikes with names, initials, birthdates or socials where ever you would like for a dollar, if I can find the ad on my computer I will show you, I had a suburban I bought locally that had the owners birthday and initials on the bottom bracket, so those numbers may have had significance to the original owner! Just thought you'd like to know!

Aaron
Thanks Aaron for the ID info. Ray

Back