When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘73 raleigh Competition

-

slowride

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello Cabers! I justified this bike as potential huret jubilee spares for the ‘74 Super tourer I bought 4 months prior (mounting bolt on Fd is bent due to someone over tightening) . Well this bike is too nice to part out in my opinion so another project!
One of the rRaleigh 501pedals had bent shaft so I found this set locally and bow did they clean up! I know their heavy as lead but do they shine!
The bike had been used for a time outside it seams so surface rust. If an OA bath it would of lost a lot of paint so instead for now clean and wax and chain lube on the inside . In the future maybe this will be my first to get professionally repainted and new transfers as no dents and straight and chrome is good. for now going to get it back on the road.
Sadly original nisi or ava sew up wheels gone. In their place steel rigidas from Grand Prix with Normandy high flange. I’m trying to be positive by thinking these are better for the rough streets here.
But a couple problems: 1) again with the over tightening! Look at stem and you’ll see a crack ; maybe with light use it’s ok but not going to chance it. Wish I had a tig i think maybe an easy job and where it is you would not see it. So then I found a 74 Grand Prix for the price of a couple pizzas but alas jts all original made in Carlton plant and I can’t bring myself to do it!

And although cosmetic, brake levers mismatched . Ah!

Let me know if you have a GB stem with shortish reach and set of weinmann levers “drilled” you’re not using and Rotting in a drawer!

How fragile are these Carlton hoods? I would rather have mismatched levers than torn/ aftermarket hoods...

Would like advice on 1) bar tape ; thinking cotton black,(brand , where you buy) 2) cable and cable housings ( brand, where you buy).

Thanks everyone! Steve

First 7 pics before and the rest of pics after/ current state

E670E3C8-56A3-4615-9F06-A88B3476FDBC.jpeg

92E7F73A-3D07-4BD9-9BDF-C2A7E11C51ED.jpeg

6B5D4759-E1C0-4AF6-8ECB-6DD3039027DB.jpeg

5331C8E6-3381-432E-BDBA-0B9D1CF02B87.jpeg

537BC3C2-FFD0-4A87-ADE3-17B5DF78397D.jpeg

D5753BAD-3671-4E4C-84F2-AFB3842D4B4F.jpeg

A3613479-B969-4D03-B916-4D1C1B2D91CE.jpeg

Last edited:
-----

Good work happening on your premises! ;)

Appears wheels and saddle are the only replaced components in addition to the mentioned brake lever.

Keep in mind that lever replacement likely due to crash.

Check bar and frame for any sign of deformation. Stem crack may have occurred in same event which necessitated lever replacement.

Lever tip - when Weinmann relieved these levers they failed to chamfer the edges of the relief slots. This always bugged me when I have had occasion to use them. Suggest going around the edges of the slots with a jeweler's file or Dremel to deburr them.

In case you wish them replica replacement transfers are available for the crank arms.

Original handlebar wrap was non-adhesive ribbed black plastic. Do not know brand name. The Sir Wally experts are sure to know...

-----

Last edited:
Hello Roger, did not think of accident. No signs at all if any deformation on frame where tubes meet head tube. Checked the bars multiple times; they are perfectly symetrc , no deformation, or cracks;

I have all the hardware but I checked handlebars again and one side is very slightly bent so I think I’ll take that out of commission too now. Before you look any further for GB stem / bars I have a local lead given to me of a local bike store that has some old parts . Going to take a look now. Appreciate you following up.

Back