When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘73 raleigh Competition

-
Thanks! It was a ton of fun to bring it back from the worn out state I found it in. . .

The teeny rack on the front brake was made by TA (same folks that made the cranks) especially for Mafac brakes. I was told it was for a tube and tool wrap but since I just carry that stuff under the saddle, I am still trying to find a new use for it . .flashlight? can of beans holder? extra pair of rolled up bike shorts? I am open to suggestions. . .

I am pretty sure the MKS pedals have titanium coloured bodies and definitely have steel axles (the magnet sticks to the axle) . They did say titanium in the catalogue I ordered from, but when I am now looking at the Mikashima web page, I think they meant to say titanium coloured pedal body.

You are lucky to have those original TA crank bolt dust covers! I was looking at these, but asking do I really have to have that? Or do I need the 23.35mm ones?

23mm is for TA and 23.35mm is Stronglight. I read someone was also making some plastic dust caps in Eastern Europe if you prefer to spend less.

The teeny rack on the front brake was made by TA (same folks that made the cranks) especially for Mafac brakes. I was told it was for a tube and tool wrap but since I just carry that stuff under the saddle, I am still trying to find a new use for it . .flashlight? can of beans holder? extra pair of rolled up bike shorts? I am open to suggestions. . .

I like those small front racks. They look good, especially with fenders, and they are pretty good at keeping a handlebar bag off the front wheel or fender, as long as they don't have to support a lot of weight.

This a similar but slightly larger Dia Compe ENE rack, also mounted on the brake caliper, with a rather huge Ostrich F-702:

1k0.jpg

You can do a lot with bar bag and front rack on a racy bike not built for a rear load.
My International with Nitto M18 front rack, supported from drop-out lugs and brake bolt.
ZHNw8UQ.jpg

7d9ygQu.jpg

The little TA brake-mount rack is just right for pinning the bottom of a narrow Carradice or Ostrich front bag, but you still need some kind decaleur to hang the top of the bag.

30PdZwo.jpg

The little TA brake-mount rack is just right for pinning the bottom of a narrow Carradice or Ostrich front bag, but you still need some kind decaleur to hang the top of the bag.

That would be optimal, but by a stroke of luck my F-702 comes up almost flush with the handlebars, so I strapped the bag directly to them. The result is pretty stable; more so than I expected.

1k0.jpg

Beautiful! What would one go for in that current condition?
Hi Fred,
Here’s a real world data point sold on “the bay” last month. All original components but needs complete refurbishment (tires, tubes, bearings replace/repacked, bar tape, clean,polishing, wax) for $559.99
Also note it was sold as local pick up only in St. Louis, Mo

Last edited:
Back