When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘73 raleigh Competition

-
-----

Back in post Nr. 1 you asked anent handlebar wrap.

The ribbed non-adhesive black plastic wrap which would have been original equipment can be seen on the RRA posted by @harpon.

You mention cotton wrap. The adhesive cotton twill of the day favoured by enthusiasts was Tressostar. Lower quality was the lighter weight Tressorex.

Both product lines issued from the French firm Velox -

http://www.velo-pages.com/main.php?g2_itemId=59293

-----

Yes only in Black. Catalog pic does not show sloping crown although listed in spec sheet. 1973 was only year for Capella lugs used on international, competition, and SC.

B8C2A5AB-8151-48A9-A8BB-34DB800B2FA5.jpeg

------

Full sloping crown on subject machine was produced by UK foundry Harrington.

Its proportions are unique, differing from those of Cinelli, Tange, etc.

------

Hello everyone,

Getting closer to finish line! Replacement bars and stem to replace those damaged. Period weinmann levers to replace mismatched set. PO improperly spread rear triangle to 125mm but did not align. I made a homemade alignment tool (RJ bike guy) and cold set to original 120mm and aligned. Few new cables , bar tape, tires, tubes. ‘73 GS wheelset in al alloy to replace GP set in steel that came with; borrowed pro saddle from another project bike. Now I need to true wheels.
Anyone have a nice truing stand they would consider selling for reasonable price?

Special thanks to Roger for advice and encouragement!

Cheers, Steve
9A1920E6-2482-4CEF-9A01-900DF32435FA.jpeg

7BEAB7A5-CA81-4F1F-866E-F5EE34927A69.jpeg

E063718C-0716-41A7-A264-7CC73FF504C3.jpeg

E1C3C5A8-017E-42B5-804A-002B18AAC98B.jpeg

F2349BAC-8BC0-4201-A2F0-25F5FDF3D0CF.jpeg

Beautiful! What would one go for in that current condition?
Thanks for the compliment! That’s a good question. I’ve seen prices all over the place. Geography plays a big part from what I’ve seen. Here in Midwest I would think somewhere between 300 and 400.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Getting closer to finish line! Replacement bars and stem to replace those damaged. Period weinmann levers to replace mismatched set. PO improperly spread rear triangle to 125mm but did not align. I made a homemade alignment tool (RJ bike guy) and cold set to original 120mm and aligned. Few new cables , bar tape, tires, tubes. ‘73 GS wheelset in al alloy to replace GP set in steel that came with; borrowed pro saddle from another project bike. Now I need to true wheels.
Anyone have a nice truing stand they would consider selling for reasonable price?

Special thanks to Roger for advice and encouragement!

Cheers, Steve View attachment 1011177
View attachment 1011178

View attachment 1011179

View attachment 1011180

View attachment 1011181
Hol
Thanks for the compliment! That’s a good question. I’ve seen prices all over the place. Geography plays a big part from what I’ve seen. Here in Midwest I would think somewhere between 300 and 400.
Holy Moly Slowride that is one correct restoration! Such a beauty . .. Thanks for sharing . ..

I realize this thread is a couple of years old, but thought I'd take the time to add my 2 cents and share pics of my 73 Raleigh Competition. Sadly, not a correct restoration. But it does ride well!

I got it from a local bike shop owner and his girlfriend rode it so hard through a salty winter herein Toronto that the original rims wore through at the brake surface. Found some Wolber Alpine rims and presto! The original bar was missing, so used a Cinelli bar and Shimano stem with Lizard skin tape. Also found the original brake levers kind of unsafe, so went with modern Tektro levers for practical pedalling. The original pedals were also toast, so went with MKS titanium platforms. Saddle is Brooks Professional with titanium rails. Also, original shift levers weren't in good shape (the plastic was chewed on by squirrels) so went with Campagnolo there. And the brakes are now Mafac Racer. Otherwise somewhat similar to yours.

This replaced a '74 International that was damaged into a garage fire.

Just got a handle bar mounted water bottle holder, will install it next thing. I used to keep a bottle in the jersey pocket, but that'
s kind of a pain in the back. . .

Super comfy bike for 50 mile (and more) rides.

Serial A2154

Hello Messenger390, thank you! I love what you have done with your bike to make it a practical , everyday bike but with many period pieces. You still have the Normandy Luxe hubs, jubilee RD , and TA pro “trois vis” crank , and that gorgeous saddle that are so much a part of its original charm. I really like those wolber rims and the fluted seat post- they go nicely! The mafac calipers are an improvement. Shifters are classic. mks pedals are high quality . did not know they make titanium spindle? Front rack looks really nice. where is it from?

Last edited:
Hello Messenger390, thank you! I love what you have done with your bike to make it a practical , everyday bike but with many period pieces. You still have the Normandy Luxe hubs, jubilee RD , and TA pro “trois vis” crank , and that gorgeous saddle that are so much a part of its original charm. I really like those wolber rims and the fluted seat post- they go nicely! The mafac calipers are an improvement. Shifters are classic. mks pedals are high quality . did not know they make titanium spindle? Front rack looks really nice. where is it from?
Thanks! It was a ton of fun to bring it back from the worn out state I found it in. . .

The teeny rack on the front brake was made by TA (same folks that made the cranks) especially for Mafac brakes. I was told it was for a tube and tool wrap but since I just carry that stuff under the saddle, I am still trying to find a new use for it . .flashlight? can of beans holder? extra pair of rolled up bike shorts? I am open to suggestions. . .

I am pretty sure the MKS pedals have titanium coloured bodies and definitely have steel axles (the magnet sticks to the axle) . They did say titanium in the catalogue I ordered from, but when I am now looking at the Mikashima web page, I think they meant to say titanium coloured pedal body.

You are lucky to have those original TA crank bolt dust covers! I was looking at these, but asking do I really have to have that? Or do I need the 23.35mm ones?

Back