When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“26” stamped on both Iver crank arms, why?

-

DonChristie

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
In Memoriam
As most of you know, i recently acquired a 1925/26 28” wheel Iver Johnson. While disassembling and cleaning I noticed a “26” stamped on both crank arms. I am curious what that is all about? One thought from a Caber was for the amount of teeth on the chain wheel ( there is 26 teeth on it). Another was the year of the bike. Has anybody seen this before? Any idea what it means?

432E32C2-5CC3-42FD-95D5-B1C20BCDC100.jpeg

887BAE45-4817-427D-A458-5DC846AA31B8.jpeg

This number was just discussed in the last few weeks. Look for old posts about it. It didn't interest me enough to remember the answer but I do remember reading it. Roger

Yes Roger it was briefly discussed. However, it was one person’s input. I wanted others to possibly give more input. I guess you have none, eh?

It was probably a way to quickly discern a men's crank arm length from a women's.
But that's just my wild ass guess.
The only thing I do know, is that is one very sweet looking machine you've got there, Don!
I'll bet you can't take your eyes of her.
You're gonna have to change your handle to Iverdoggy now. Lol!

In the case of an almost 100 year old bike my opinion is the 26 was a part number/inventory number so the correct part was put on the bike when it was built. I doubt anyone is alive who would have more correct answer for you. I could certainly be wrong and I hope you find what you need. Roger

I have never noticed this number on my Ivers before but my guess is that it would be to match up a 26 tooth chain wheel. Or perhaps it is the year it was made since you say the bike is ‘25-‘26. That’s just my guess, as I am unsure. Beautiful Iver though!!

Thanks guys! Hey @bricycle brilliant thinking! My 26” iver has 7” arms and the 28” iver has 7.5” arms. Not sure what that means tho...i might not ever know what the mysterious “26” means! Hey, it is my birthday next month! Ha!

Interesting! So it is a factory stamp! “26” went on 7” arms. I need to count the sprocket teeth on my 26” iver which has 7.5” arms...thanks ivrjhnsn!

Back