When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“The Unforgettable Big Wheel” 52” Ordinary High Wheel

-

KevinsBikes

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I was told by the only owner who had it ~50 years he rode it in RAGBRAI a few times. It's rusted so it won't steer, but the wheels roll. Will be a wall hanger but still cool and the price was right.

IMG_2985 copy.jpg

IMG_2984 copy.jpg

IMG_2983 copy.jpg

IMG_2948 copy.jpg

IMG_2947 copy.jpg

IMG_2946 copy.jpg

IMG_2945 copy.jpg

IMG_2944 copy.jpg

IMG_2943 copy.jpg

IMG_2942 copy.jpg

IMG_2941 copy.jpg

@KevinsBikes it's not a "one off High Wheel" but actually part of a production run. You are correct though, it is about 50 years old. Built in the late 1960 or early 1970's it's called "The Unforgettable Big Wheel" and they were produced in Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL.

@Rambler Thanks very much! This helps me a lot in my research on it, and the reason I posted on the cabe because of all the knowledge here. I’ve corrected my title too.

I’m wondering if anyone has one of these rolling still. Parts of me thought some things were too well done to be home made wheels and cranks) but then the guy told me the seat spring came off a bumper, and some of the welds looked a little rough.

I would like to rebuild a seat for it and I’m putting some nice patina’d white block pedals on it. The AZ sun will weather a seat nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashley Molk rode his across America with us , .I will try to find a photo of him on the road

Would love to see it and any others of this model so I can see what survived and what may be different. Also interested what the leather on the seat looked like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are not great photos but I'll look at my photo files at home. I may have some better ones there to post.

Wow - these are great photos, especially not knowing that this was a production bike a bit ago. Thanks so much!

Back