When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“Vintage” Bike Disposal

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

marching_out

Finally riding a big boys bike
I volunteered at a local bike co-op this week and had an interesting conversation with one of the other volunteers regarding the mass of bikes that have been gifted to them over the years. The co-op is in the process of tearing down and scrapping close to one hundred “walmart” bikes that are either too far gone or are not worth repairing. This leaves many bikes that were ridden a couple of times, put away, and now donated and those “ancient” bikes from the 1960’s through the 1980’s. These bikes are, for the most part, solid, run-of-the-mill Schwinn’s, Ross’s, Motobecane’s, and Fuji’s. Most are 10 and 5 speeds with a few 3 speeds. Most are missing at least a part or two.

Old 10 speeds are a hard sell to anyone walking in off the street. The co-op knows there’s some value in parts but they also know few people want to buy these bikes individually. A question was posed…is there any avenue to sell groups of these bikes for an extremely reasonable price to a person or entity? Preferably to someone that wants them to build up and put back on the road or will tear them down and sell for parts. They know they can use F.B. Marketplace, Ebay, and C.L. but were curious if there are any other avenues.

I’m sure this is not the first time this has come up and I would like some constructive feedback as I need to get back to the co-op in the near future. It pains me to see these go to the scrap yard but that is where they may end up. And no, I can’t save them all as much as I would like to. Thanks in advance for all the feedback.

The cooperative would likely be uninterested in negative pricing, paying someone for the services of taking the bikes off of their hands.

Perhaps some other promotion, such as "1 free bike with any purchase" - or similar?

I take in donated bikes and give restored bikes to underprivileged people. I have just resigned myself to scrapping bikes like you describe. It is tough to do but nobody seems to want a used 10 speed road bike - even if it's free. Occasionally I will save a few parts like cable clamps but generally there isn't much worth the time and effort to keep.

Some of the co-op's near me advertise a bicycles & parts "Spring Sale" ... on FB Mktplace, Craigslist , etc. ... they are always getting bicycle donations so, when the Sale is said and done, they part out the bicycle that can be used for build-ups, scrap what's left and the process starts all over again until the next bicycle Sale. Advertising and getting the word out about the "SALE" is the best way to get peoples interest, pricing them reasonable and negotiating offers in person usually gets them gone.
Then there's the Auction route ...

I’m sure this is not the first time this has come up and I would like some constructive feedback as I need to get back to the co-op in the near future. It pains me to see these go to the scrap yard but that is where they may end up. And no, I can’t save them all as much as I would like to. Thanks in advance for all the feedback.
Yep, some info here:

I. Never junk a quality road bike A set of upright mountain bike handlebars from a. Junk China Mart. Ditto1 a more comfy saddle. Same source for brake levers. Assemble using replacement parts and call it a hybrid. Makes a .great college of. work commuter that won't break the bank to buy or .leave you homeless if stolen. And the best part is you have quality ride because you retained the parts that really count.

I did a number of these for friends who had their old road bikes but could not now endure the hard saddles or ride in the drops.

The transformation can be done in a matter of minutes (I cleaned and repacked all bearings so took a bit longer). Some also wanted different shifters, etc. and since I never threw anything away, I could usually help them out.

The one in the photo I picked up on the curb set out for garbage. Changed bars, saddle and added basket and carrier. Rode it hundreds of miles on various railtrails and my dog loved it too. Cost: Bike--$0 trash pick up, O for basket from a junker. $5 for rear carrier. $5 for flea market saddle, brake levers from junker $0 Fenders I got from friend they were broken repaired with some thin aluminum laying around

WRLDSPRT.JPG

DSCN0177.JPG

Last edited:
I volunteered at a local bike co-op this week and had an interesting conversation with one of the other volunteers regarding the mass of bikes that have been gifted to them over the years. The co-op is in the process of tearing down and scrapping close to one hundred “walmart” bikes that are either too far gone or are not worth repairing. This leaves many bikes that were ridden a couple of times, put away, and now donated and those “ancient” bikes from the 1960’s through the 1980’s. These bikes are, for the most part, solid, run-of-the-mill Schwinn’s, Ross’s, Motobecane’s, and Fuji’s. Most are 10 and 5 speeds with a few 3 speeds. Most are missing at least a part or two.

Old 10 speeds are a hard sell to anyone walking in off the street. The co-op knows there’s some value in parts but they also know few people want to buy these bikes individually. A question was posed…is there any avenue to sell groups of these bikes for an extremely reasonable price to a person or entity? Preferably to someone that wants them to build up and put back on the road or will tear them down and sell for parts. They know they can use F.B. Marketplace, Ebay, and C.L. but were curious if there are any other avenues.

A few summers ago I bought many Schwinn's from a guy...$10.00 each.... strictly to part out..... there's your market

Thanks everyone for all the info. Great advice given. I compile it and send it along.
Yep, some info here:

Thanks for sending this link along. I remembered it as soon as I started reading it. Good info in it as well.

Depending on your location & city. Those 70's 10 Speed sells really good in NYC. but it has to be complete / rider. avg young person not looking to fix anything. there are a few people who buy cheap to fix/flip. C.L. here bike flippers want's $ 250 - $300+ for a Vintage Peugeots. EX: I used to sell $ 100- $175 for a nice Raleigh no problem within reason.

Back