When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

05/10/1962 - Schwinn Traveler - Ladies 19" Frame - 3 Speed - Radiant Red

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rennfaron

Wore out three sets of tires already!
The project before the 23" black traveler I just posted, was this ladies traveler. It was another ebay purchase and the seller sold it quick on an offer for a good deal. From the photos it looked in good condition, but when I got it it just had a lot more scrapes and paint loss than I saw in the photos. The paint itself was in a great condition and the chrome / SS was also in great condition. It also looked like someone had a lock and chain wrapped around the down tubes, which chewed through a lot of paint down to steel. The decals were in ok shape, but once I started wiping it down they just melted away. It was like they were chalky and once water and a rag hit them, they were done. That was a real bummer since the paint looked so nice. So I removed the decals. Then I went over the paint and touched up everything. The touchup paint I found was almost a near perfect match. Check out the 6th photo to see one of the large touchup areas. I wish I had a before shot of this, but this area was chewed up bad from a chain, down to primer and steel. I laid down primer, then aluminum base, then testors. It blends right in. Then I put the some bones decals back on there (I have NOS decals, but didn't want to use them on this bike...). I left the chain guard decal alone because it was in pretty good shape and also the dealer sticker on there. I did the typical q-tip and toothbrush detailing and this thing pops. I pulled the grips off to put on the black traveler, but have a set on the way. I also have the starburst badge, but just haven't gotten around to mounting it yet. Last thing it would need is the saddle bag, which I have and need to put on there.

Ya, I like travelers...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:
Unreal paint transformation! Good thing it's not the same Red paint as the 53-55's, it would be Gold after all that polishing. ;)

haha. Having another radiant red traveler, I knew from the photos that the red was either in need of a serious polishing or the photos taken didn't accurately represent the red or a combo of both because when radiant red is polished, waxed and in the sunlight it is electric! The price was good so I went for it. As I polished it, the cloth went from white to brown on the first pass. Then from white to a light gray on the second and third pass. Then I started biting into the red, went a slight bit further, stopped and waxed it to lock it in. I didn't know I was going to get into replacing decals, as I usually can save most of them, or getting into heavy touchup of paint. They were all good lessons though and the match to radiant red I found was almost exact and I didn't have to go get any special mix.

Back