When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

08/13/1959 Schwinn Traveler - 23" Frame - 3 Speed - Black

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks for the info.......................I have the same pedals , in about the same shape as yours were in . I'll follow your lead on this . THANK YOU ! :grinning:

Good luck! Others have commented to keep the oxalic mix warm while it soaks. In Texas that wasn't a problem and left it outside in a sealed Tupperware container. It's about 96 degrees here even at night.

Geeze, that one is super Niccccce! Superb job resurrecting that Traveler my friend! ...
1569817548595.png

You mentioned the stem is a one year only. Was that just for the Traveler or all the 59 production?
I was talking to Chris after he said his stem was different than the nice re-chromed piece on eBay. I never noticed the detail he pointed out and the angle of the cinch bolts varied for some reason. Seems Schwinn was using a few variations of these stems and then there were the ones that were not threaded using a nut and those are somewhat hard to find. My 58 Corvette has the AS bolts and it has the cinch bolt nut since the stem isn't threaded. I have earlier and later stems and none use a cinch bolt nut.

Thanks!

It should be '59 for top of line models. I actually have quite a few of them because every now and then I see one turn up on ebay and go for $20 bucks and just have to buy it, as they usually go for $60. Traveler was the top end lightweight tourist at that time and got that stem. I know what you mean about the variations on the angle, but this is the only one I have seen that is unthreaded on the stem and has cinch bolts, and the double AS (unless I am having a brain fart and can't remember the others). What is the one your friend was looking at? I have another '59 all original and it has the double AS with cinch bolt nut. There was another red traveler '59 I was looking at with the same. That black traveler '59 above has it. And in '60 they went to another style. In '58, it wasn't the cinch bolt nut.

Thanks!

It should be '59 for top of line models. I actually have quite a few of them because every now and then I see one turn up on ebay and go for $20 bucks and just have to buy it, as they usually go for $60. Traveler was the top end lightweight tourist at that time and got that stem. I know what you mean about the variations on the angle, but this is the only one I have seen that is unthreaded on the stem and has cinch bolts, and the double AS (unless I am having a brain fart and can't remember the others). What is the one your friend was looking at? I have another '59 all original and it has the double AS with cinch bolt nut. There was another red traveler '59 I was looking at with the same. That black traveler '59 above has it. And in '60 they went to another style. In '58, it wasn't the cinch bolt nut.

Chris is restoring a 1962 Corvette 5. I took a look at all the stems on the bikes I have here at the house from 1955 thru 1962. It seems that in 1962 Schwinn cast the stems so that the cinch bolt is horizontal verses being angled upwards slightly. My 58 Corvette is original and it has the double AS bolts with a nut.
Hard to see but it's there!

My 58 Vette 1.jpg

Beautiful Travelers - easy to see why you pulled the trigger so quick on the Ebay offering! I believe that crash rail seat is the nicest I have seen, it should be a simple deal to trade or sell for what you want. Personally, I would be tempted to leave it - it adds an air of elegance to an already regal Schwinn lightweight! Nicely done!

Wow, really nice bike! Good eye to see the potential in that f/f. I see you even got the license decal off. Did you use a heat gun for that?

Thanks Keith! I did use a heat gun. I was able to get about half off with the help of the heat and slow peeling. The rest really stuck on there and I had to work at it with my fingernails. Then there was some sticky residue left and I was able to polish that off. Unfortunately this decal took a while to come off. I have had some that with a regular hair dryer came off easily, even over the decal (which is why I used the hair dryer).

Back