When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1 owner 68 run a bout and decal missing question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks ..Here's a few pics. No paint loss that I can see or scrapes reflection sucks but it's clean.. I like this green..look great on a firebird..lolšŸ˜Ž

Nice bike find and in great condition. As the others have posted, in '68 only you got the option of Stik Shift and there would be no script on the top tube. In 69-70 you only got a thumb shifter with the script on the top tube, only got the S7 rear wheel, longer rear fender, a different seat, and a different chainring up front. 68 was unique in many ways for this bike. If it was not ridden and stored, that could explain no evidence of paint damage from the shifter being mounted at some point on the top tube. Somewhere along the line the shifter was likely removed and a thumb installed, however, back then you could have a Schwinn shop modify your bike out the door, so maybe they sold it to her like this. Tires have been changed for sure. I own 4 of these great bikes and love them. I'd look for the whitewalls and I'd add the Stik Shift again if it were mine.

Wow your right here's my numbers. Here is Her purchased date on tag ...ha that's funny there were two she got the cert for the other bike they couldn't find..lol

Redline1968, I happened to see this 1968 Schwinn Sting-ray Runabout available on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/284412942001?campid=5335809022
The bicycle is an early serial number BDxxxxxx February 1968 and it also does not have the Schwinn script on Top Tube, maybe it was an early model thing?
What is your serial number?

Last edited:
I got to thinking after my post above. Since this was offered with stik or a trigger shifter and that buyer possibly wanted one with the trigger shifter. The dealer may not have had one equipped with the trigger so he had to swap out the shifters. The trigger model had a decal, so why didn't the dealer install the missing decal?
Probably didn't occur to them.....

Awesome ! So yours and the other bike I posted without the Schwinn top tube script must have been an early production thing, as I have a 1968 EDxxxxxx May 1968 Thumb shift that has the Schwinn script.
They probably produced it that way to be able to offer it with or without the Stik Shifter in the beginning. The Stik Shift version is usually more desirable but it leaves you the option if you want to put one on or not.

If your looking for a good quality U.S.A. made Rear Tire, look up on eBay ...
Vintage Carlisle 16 X 2.125 Bicycle Tire - NOS

Last edited:
Why would someone want a shifter between the seats when they can have paddle shifters on the steering wheel? šŸ¤£ Top tube markings were always decals.
I was thinking about the top tube decals. I had ran across a couple pieces of info on the subject for consideration. I had a screenshot of one but the other I am still searching for.

Screenshot_20220213-231923_eBay.jpg

This I believe was from Bicyclebones on eBay. He sells a lot of officially licensed products and says he has proofs for the decals. He also says the logos for the most part were screened and the decals were for replacement or repaints.
I believe the other conversation was here last month. I am searching for it and when I find it I can see what it says on the subject.

Last edited:
I was thinking about the top tube decals. I had ran across a couple pieces of info on the subject for consideration. I had a screenshot of one but the other I am still searching for.

View attachment 1570777

This I believe was from Schwinnstore on eBay. He sells a lot of officially licensed products and says he has proofs for the decals. He also says the logos for the most part were screened and the decals were for replacement or repaints.
I believe the other conversation was here last month. I am searching for it and when I find it I can see what it says on the subject.
I don't believe that is the case. The chainguard was screened while the Schwinn script, fork darts, and Quality decal on the seat tube are water slides. I have many original paint bikes from 63-73 and this is how they all are. Pretty generally accepted in the Stingray groups that I participate in.

Back