When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1 owner 68 run a bout and decal missing question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I don't believe that is the case. The chainguard was screened while the Schwinn script, fork darts, and Quality decal on the seat tube are water slides. I have many original paint bikes from 63-73 and this is how they all are. Pretty generally accepted in the Stingray groups that I participate in.
I agree with this statement.
I do alot of screen printing and it is for flat surfaces. I would love to know how to screen print "round" surfaces, impossible.

All the chain guard markings were decals up until the 1959 models. From 59 on the chain guards were screened, all of them. The fork darts were hand pinned until maybe 63 and then they were screened. All seat tubes, down tubes and top tubes had decals.

All the chain guard markings were decals up until the 1959 models. From 59 on the chain guards were screened, all of them. The fork darts were hand pinned until maybe 63 and then they were screened. All seat tubes, down tubes and top tubes had decals.
My comments were relevant to 63-73 Stingrays and the 68 Runabout posted here

Sorry if anybody feels insulted by my comments but I don't just take anybody word about anything. I try to research a subject anytime there are differing opinions.
I am willing to take the word of a man that does silkscreening that you cannot screen a rounded surface. I do not silkscreen so I do not have that experience.
I am also willing to believe someone when they can show some kind of proof they are right in a disagreement about any subject being debated. I can be wrong. So can any of you.
I have, however found that you cannot always count on the general consensus and the facts always being the same. 20 people can tell me the sky is purple, but until I see it or see proof that it is purple I am not going with the general consensus. Early in life my mom told me not to jump off a cliff just because my friends thought it would be fun.
So forgive me if I question things. Last I knew that's how we learn. But attitudes and condescension do not work well with me. That is why I do not do well on forums I guess. Anyone can be mistaken, and none of us have all the answers all the time. The difference is in how people respond to you when they feel you are mistaken.
I thought it was different here but now I am not so sure.
I guess I will wait on the next replies to see how welcome I am here when I question the answers I get. Especially the way a couple of these comments have been made.

probably could have gone both ways schwinn would build what you wanted within reason, cool find !!
I like your answer, and my next comment is not to offend you.
I seem to remember on another thread others (not you) debating the existence of black Stingrays, and one guy had an all chrome Schwinn Autocycle Deluxe. Anyone who agreed that any black Stingrays or all chrome Autocycles could exist was ridiculed for their comments, one forum was locked because of this.
I believe like you do that Schwinn would make about anything if it would sell. So what is it about black Stingrays or an all chrome Autocycle Deluxe that doesn't allow the possibility of those bikes existing?
Like I said, this is not to disagree or be offensive to you. That gets nobody anywhere.
Rob

I like your answer, and my next comment is not to offend you.
I seem to remember on another thread others (not you) debating the existence of black Stingrays, and one guy had an all chrome Schwinn Autocycle Deluxe. Anyone who agreed that any black Stingrays or all chrome Autocycles could exist was ridiculed for their comments, one forum was locked because of this.
I believe like you do that Schwinn would make about anything if it would sell. So what is it about black Stingrays or an all chrome Autocycle Deluxe that doesn't allow the possibility of those bikes existing?
Like I said, this is not to disagree or be offensive to you. That gets nobody anywhere.
Rob
yes no problem no sense to get mad about something because someone dont agree !

I might not know a lot about what goes on stingrays but I can tell you .. that you can tell which of them you have...run your fingernail lightly over the frame where the script is and if it catchs it then it's a decal and if it slides over quickly then it says silk screen..

I was going through my collection of Schwinn Reporters and found this tidbit of info.
States that the Schwinn Sting-ray Run-a-bout will be available March 1, 1968.
The Run-a-bout seemed to not have much advertisement during it's production years.
The 1968 Ads always seem to have the early pre-production model. Small sprocket, Midget Frame.
IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

I was going through my collection of Schwinn Reporters and found this tidbit of info.
States that the Schwinn Sting-ray Run-a-bout will be available March 1, 1968.
The Run-a-bout seemed to not have much advertisement during it's production years.
The 1968 Ads always seem to have the early pre-production model. Small sprocket, Midget Frame.
View attachment 1573258
View attachment 1573259
Very cool - thanks for posting this. Also the wrong chainguard on the earlly one, it's got chrome on it like a Super Deluxe. The guards on the Runabouts are unique, they are a 20 Stingray size but are stamped with an "R" by the rear frame mount and they have a larger bracket up front to clear the larger sprockets. In that prototype with the Lucky Seven, they wouldn't need that larger bracket.

Back