When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

125th anniversary of the cyclists' cup - let's see what you've got!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

PLERR

Finally riding a big boys bike
Today is the 125th anniversary of the patent date for the collapsible cycling cup, Feb 23, 1897. My modest collection is shown below, feel free to share what you have.

It's my understanding that this style of collapsible cup was intoduced for cycling but quickly became popular with other activities. As the years went by the cyclists' cup was marketed for camping, with pill compartments for the purse, advertising, scouting, and other uses. My collection is really collapsible cups in general and not strictly cycling.

I really like the smooth shape of this one. I'm sure it slipped in and out of a vest pocket easily.

Gotta have a railroad version!

This is an aluminum advertising cup for Mentholatum. The lids don't stay on very well on these ones.

Lots of variations, if you're into that sort of thing. Many combinations of patent date, "FH" in the center, and different prices.

And lastly, the orange plastic Stanhome collapsible cup my grandfather gave me when I was little. It probably dates to the 70s. I was fascinated by that thing. It has a compartment for pills with a lid that can be oriented to the time of the dose.

E=-)

Last edited:
Today is the 125th anniversary of the patent date for the collapsible cycling cup, Feb 23, 1897. My modest collection is shown below, feel free to share what you have.

It's my understanding that this style of collapsible cup was intoduced for cycling but quickly became popular with other activities. As the years went by the cyclists' cup was marketed for camping, with pill compartments for the purse, advertising, scouting, and other uses. My collection is really collapsible cups in general and not strictly cycling.

View attachment 1576092

View attachment 1576093

View attachment 1576096

I really like the smooth shape of this one. I'm sure it slipped in and out of a vest pocket easily.

View attachment 1576095

Gotta have a railroad version!

View attachment 1576099

This is an aluminum advertising cup for Mentholatum. The lids don't stay on very well on these ones.

View attachment 1576094

Lots of variations, if you're into that sort of thing. Many combinations of patent date, "FH" in the center, and different prices.

View attachment 1576097

View attachment 1576098

And lastly, the orange plastic Stanhome collapsible cup my grandfather gave me when I was little. It probably dates to the 70s. I was fascinated by that thing. It has a compartment for pills with a lid that can be oriented to the time of the dose.

View attachment 1576101

E=-)
Really cool! Something new to look for at the Flea Market! 🙂

Back