When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1877 Coventry Machinists Co. 52” Roadster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rusty_apache

Finally riding a big boys bike
I’m trying to figure out whether or not the saddle pan is original or not. The steel tool roll loops just look out of place to me.
so far I have determined that it should have grey rubber tiring but it’s so badly deteriorated I don’t know the diameter. The handlebar is installed backwards and the backbone is slightly bent. 46E11050-AE30-4921-B96D-9A1AB95DC4F4.jpeg

A9B1CFBE-6D59-4047-9284-7193053D332D.jpeg

4510D1D9-DBEF-4200-A6E0-53F5E9B466F6.jpeg

0270E1CC-CC5F-41EB-BE7D-8A9280556AEF.jpeg

9A6C5F2A-890F-467E-B4A5-4CF3331E8AF6.jpeg

2FD4F4F4-F2E4-48FC-A852-BAA68863FB73.jpeg

The V-CC library has the 1877 catalogue online.
Are you able to access it?
If not, I'll see what I can do.

Off hand I would say the pan saddle you have is original. The two loops hanging underneath on the backside would not have been for carrying luggage but rather for a tool bag. The saddle itself would have been covered with pigskin and possibly some horsehair for cushioning. I kind of doubt the tires were originally gray in color but most likely red para rubber. The wood wedge under your saddle pan is original. I worked on a very early Singer a couple of years ago with a similar wedge arrangement. Nick Clayton in England possibly may have an original Coventry Machinists catalog. Other saddle options that were offered was something called the "web-seat". They also listed in the sundries list an "air" saddle which I only surmise was an inflatable rubber saddle.
The luggage carrier illustration I included was not for this bike but I only added it to give you an approximate idea what something would have looked like on the lower backbone.
20191029_171945.jpg

20191029_172122.jpg

Thanks so much for all the help over the years Craig!
I thought that wood block was a piece of Art Deco furniture placed there some time after the Great Depression. So the images I posted from Robert Serba's website are just a brochure and a more in depth catalogue exists?
The brochure says pigskin saddle as you verified. My ‘91 Expert has a CMC Saddle and spring so I was wrongly expecting a very similar arrangement where the leather is just riveted to the pan. this one is simply stitched around the pan. I am so pleased to know that I don’t need to have one made.
The tiring does look to be original and more red than grey. Im not sure how I got that impression.

Back