When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1880 American Star

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Semi Racing Star description from 1889 Star Catalog:

Thanks everyone, so in this condition what is this bike worth. Not that I would sell it.
What size is it? To most, that would make a big difference. A bike that fits me would be more valuable than a display bike. The wheel size was chosen based on inseam length.

Wheel size does not matter as much with Stars as it does for high wheels (Ordinaries). I am 6'-1" and fit on and ride both my 42" and 48" Stars equally well. The 42" is a little more nimble but just as easy to ride as the 48". I have not ridden a 39" Star so can not say if the same fit and ride-ability would apply for me on the smaller wheel.

From 1889 Star catalog:

Last edited:
The easiest way to identify an "American" (it's a model designation, like Special, or semi-racing, not a reference to the country in which it was built) is the spring above the front fork. It is the only model with that. Pony is a size designation, anything 45 and under is a Pony, with the exception of the 39 x 24 and Rover models. Specials are the most common models I see out there. All models were available in Pony sizes.

also semi Racing is basically a special without the spring between the steering column and the main leaf spring

Back