When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1880s boneshaker at my local historical society

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
All I can say about it is the Museum doesn't care much about it, as it appears they spent all of 10-15 minutes stringing it up there. Horrible display.

At least it is displayed. There are a lot of museums that have items that never see the light of day. Museums, if managed properly, can be informative and entertaining but it takes a curator and not merely a caretaker. V/r Shawn

Nice pics corbitclassics. Did you find them online or visit? Upclose pics...Im leaning on repop, but never having one of these in my hands or even seeing a real bonafide example in front of me, Im inexperienced with kowing what it should look like.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

It is what it is ,. I have owned a lot , I have seen a lot . CAREY WILLIAMS has my most rare velocipede.
If the museum likes it and people are interested in it , thanks it has served it's purpose.. Go to an IVCA meeting in Europe , or VCC. There you will see some of the finest in the world , look on STERBA.COM , OR THE VELORAMA in the Netherlands for some views .believe anything you want , show the pedal and bearing arrangement of that vehicle this thread is about OK YIPPIE, I just saw the contraption ,how is this vehicle moved about ? Laufmachine, pedestrian curricul,Draisene, style , ?

Last edited:
Ok ...here is my real blacksmith made 1860 bone shaker as a example...check out the cast iron pedals... it really does weighs a ton....yep ....I do have everything but wood spokes...it’s just another project..I have to do.....lol
B401D4A9-CFB5-4206-9526-074D73426C55.jpeg

B8B51043-109B-4226-9C28-06F370439A09.jpeg

7304C836-4051-4EDA-A50B-84226141138E.jpeg

13F13770-08C5-4BA1-94FA-E93B6305DA1F.jpeg

D2B55E27-A472-43BE-A894-9CA36F3C5D36.jpeg

DFFCB9D9-57B3-4ECF-9BE8-48258BF0B81D.jpeg

It is what it is ,. I have owned a lot , I have seen a lot . CAREY WILLIAMS has my most rare velocipede.
If the museum likes it and people are interested in it , thanks it has served it's purpose.. Go to an IVCA meeting in Europe , or VCC. There you will see some of the finest in the world , look on STERBA.COM , OR THE VELORAMA in the Netherlands for some views .believe anything you want , show the pedal and bearing arrangement of that vehicle this thread is about OK YIPPIE, I just saw the contraption ,how is this vehicle moved about ? Laufmachine, pedestrian curricul,Draisene, style , ?

Thanks for the great explanation Walter on the Hanlon Type Boneshaker!!! Been there done that! My Boneshaker is in Velorama! My other is in a private collection.

For people wanting to check out Velorama, If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is the Hanlon type machine that is displayed there.
remote.jpeg

Picture #1 - Look closely Walter - the one hanging in the museum appears to missing its cranks as many are that survive today. ( The machines you're talking about though were from a much earlier era )

Picture #2 - Here is one with its cranks still attached. See how they are bolted on and easy to think the bike in Pic #1 may have not ever had any!

Interesting how both of these are missing a grip as many Bonehsakers are today.
15419549_1547881498562030_3270726990391571404_o.jpg

Copake 2010 36x30  1600 Stockdale_zps9ydfbitc.jpg

Back