When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1880s boneshaker at my local historical society

-

Euphman06

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Saw this today. I apologize if its not a boneshaker...not too up to date on my bike terminology of this vintage. Thought you guys would like to see. They said it was probably made local (Nazareth, Pa)

7adb723e51d75f317512a6385cce381d.jpg

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

No they arent. I doubt they ever will. This historic site has things saved from the original owners dating back to the 1800s if not before. The family kept everything and kept it in meticulous condition until it all went to the historic society. Pretty amazing little place. Look up Boulton historic site in Jacobsburg park.

Wow... I dont doubt youre opinion of it being a repop...Im just wondering how the museum workers got the knowledge of it being constructed by the original owners. Lol...goes to show misinformation that gets passed down

I’ve never seen a repop Hanlon but have seen repop Boneshakers. It’s the seat that doesn’t look right for me. I’ve collected lots of photos etc on Hanlon’s and have yet to see a repop one.

1. Can you provide closer overall and detail photos of it?
2. How long has the Historical Society had it - one week or 100 years or?
3. What accession information do they have for it?
4. Who locally was making them during the short velocipede era? Are there any other known examples.
5. Wheel diameters and wheelbase dimensions?
6. There are several velocipede experts that should be consulted once above info is collected before any conclusions are made.
7. Why is this post marked Urgent?

I have been involved in old bikes for over 50 years , that bike even if it was made local , is a piece of junk ,not road worthy , not worth anything , no historical value etc.if you look at a real Michaux or other maker , you will see the fine detail , these early bikes are not made like a garden ornament ,

Back