When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1880s boneshaker at my local historical society

-
All I can say about it is the Museum doesn't care much about it, as it appears they spent all of 10-15 minutes stringing it up there. Horrible display.

At least it is displayed. There are a lot of museums that have items that never see the light of day. Museums, if managed properly, can be informative and entertaining but it takes a curator and not merely a caretaker. V/r Shawn

Nice pics corbitclassics. Did you find them online or visit? Upclose pics...Im leaning on repop, but never having one of these in my hands or even seeing a real bonafide example in front of me, Im inexperienced with kowing what it should look like.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

It is what it is ,. I have owned a lot , I have seen a lot . CAREY WILLIAMS has my most rare velocipede.
If the museum likes it and people are interested in it , thanks it has served it's purpose.. Go to an IVCA meeting in Europe , or VCC. There you will see some of the finest in the world , look on STERBA.COM , OR THE VELORAMA in the Netherlands for some views .believe anything you want , show the pedal and bearing arrangement of that vehicle this thread is about OK YIPPIE, I just saw the contraption ,how is this vehicle moved about ? Laufmachine, pedestrian curricul,Draisene, style , ?

Last edited:
Ok ...here is my real blacksmith made 1860 bone shaker as a example...check out the cast iron pedals... it really does weighs a ton....yep ....I do have everything but wood spokes...it’s just another project..I have to do.....lol
B401D4A9-CFB5-4206-9526-074D73426C55.jpeg

B8B51043-109B-4226-9C28-06F370439A09.jpeg

7304C836-4051-4EDA-A50B-84226141138E.jpeg

13F13770-08C5-4BA1-94FA-E93B6305DA1F.jpeg

D2B55E27-A472-43BE-A894-9CA36F3C5D36.jpeg

DFFCB9D9-57B3-4ECF-9BE8-48258BF0B81D.jpeg

It is what it is ,. I have owned a lot , I have seen a lot . CAREY WILLIAMS has my most rare velocipede.
If the museum likes it and people are interested in it , thanks it has served it's purpose.. Go to an IVCA meeting in Europe , or VCC. There you will see some of the finest in the world , look on STERBA.COM , OR THE VELORAMA in the Netherlands for some views .believe anything you want , show the pedal and bearing arrangement of that vehicle this thread is about OK YIPPIE, I just saw the contraption ,how is this vehicle moved about ? Laufmachine, pedestrian curricul,Draisene, style , ?

Thanks for the great explanation Walter on the Hanlon Type Boneshaker!!! Been there done that! My Boneshaker is in Velorama! My other is in a private collection.

For people wanting to check out Velorama, If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is the Hanlon type machine that is displayed there.
remote.jpeg

Picture #1 - Look closely Walter - the one hanging in the museum appears to missing its cranks as many are that survive today. ( The machines you're talking about though were from a much earlier era )

Picture #2 - Here is one with its cranks still attached. See how they are bolted on and easy to think the bike in Pic #1 may have not ever had any!

Interesting how both of these are missing a grip as many Bonehsakers are today.
15419549_1547881498562030_3270726990391571404_o.jpg

Copake 2010 36x30  1600 Stockdale_zps9ydfbitc.jpg

Back