When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1890’s Bicycle i.d. Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-
Would like to know manufacturer and year of bicycle below:

View attachment 762571

Zimmerman_123_146164235_std.jpg

You'll also notice something Raleigh invented on this bicycle. The changeable gear. No it's not a multi speed but the front sprocket can be unbolted and changed.

Here are more references for 1893-94 Raleigh bicycles. In 1894 they offered a 23 pound road wheel and a 19 pound racer. The ones shown above with thinner seat post could be the racer. The photo I originally posted was of a rider from Erie PA named Otto Maya. Otto became a professional bicycle racer and retired around 1904.

1894 Raleigh advertisement:
1894 - Raleigh Ad.jpg

1893 Raleigh Photo from UK Grace Guide Im1932Bart-p42a[1].jpg

Image from a Raleigh ad in May 17, 1894 The University of Michigan Daily newspaper:
1894.05.17 - The University of Michigan Daily - Raleigh Ad 2.JPG

Photo of a Raleigh from Boston Raleigh Users Group website:
raleigh0008-copy-3-blog[1].jpg

Raleigh in Farren Collection:
Raliegh 1 farren collection.JPG

1894-95 Raleigh from http://home.antique-bicycles.net/
1.JPG

Does the "Corbett" on the third photo refer to the rider or photographer?
Distant relation Bill?
Love those 'bars.

I haven’t figured that one out yet but I would guess it’s the photographer. I’m not familiar with this racer and haven’t seen his face before.

The only “Corbett” that I know of that rode in the 1890’s was Gentleman Jim Corbett. He was the first World Heavyweight Champion boxer of the world who defeated Sullivan in the first ever match using gloves. I am related to him though. I do have a couple pics of him on a racer.

Back