When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1890's convertible cycle missing seat

-
Thank you so much @ridingtoy , that is exactly my bike. I appreciate that you sent me this. That is helpful.
Glad I could help! Being a retired mechanical designer, I've been puzzled as to how the seat springs would attach to that rear piece ever since you first posted the photos of what you had. Finally figured it out after seeing the dog photo...I think. I believe the whole spring assembly is made out of one piece of spring steel wire. The wire being a large enough diameter to snap into that rounded groove, bent 90 degrees back on each side of the groove, and then curving underneath the horizontal piece behind the groove on up through the coils. The horizontal piece would act as a stop when coil tension load was released but allow the coils to flex when under load. If that makes sense when you look at it.

Dave

Last edited:
Glad I could help! Being a retired mechanical designer, I've been puzzled as to how the seat springs would attach to that rear piece ever since you first posted the photos of what you had. Finally figured it out after seeing the dog photo...I think. I believe the whole spring assembly is made out of one piece of spring steel wire. The wire being a large enough diameter to snap into that rounded groove, bent 90 degrees back on each side of the groove, and then curving underneath the horizontal piece behind the groove on up through the coils. The horizontal piece would act as a stop when coil tension load was released but allow the coils to flex when under load. If that makes sense when you look at it.

Dave
Dave,
Yes I do believe I understand what you are describing. After looking at the images you sent I am pretty sure I can see how the seat mounted to the bicycle.
Thank you,
Tyson

I picked up my little Velocipedes last week, it was swapped out for a girls Fairy Tricycle, I you want additional pictures I'd be happy to post up some?

-mike

I picked up my little Velocipedes last week, it was swapped out for a girls Fairy Tricycle, I you want additional pictures I'd be happy to post up some?

-mike
Mike, I'd certainly enjoy seeing photos when you get a chance to post them!

Dave

-mike
Mike, I would be interested in seeing the photos of your velocipedes. Especially the underside of the seat. I have a good idea what the springs for my convertible bike/trike should look like thanks to Dave but now trying to get ideas for what the seat structure might look like. Wondering if my seat should look something like this photo under the leather. Tyson
1895-Sears-Roebuck-Co-Boys-Velocipede-Tricycle-60.jpg

Last edited:
Back