When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1890's hub inquiry.

-

ftwelder

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi, I have a couple of old bikes, one of them I am working on now is a 1896-1898 "Nashua" by E.H. Corson or Nashua NH. It's a very high quality machine with finely crafted components and light at 25 lbs.
set-72157624981957264

5001640008_ac831b38a4-1.jpg

IMG_3630 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

I received the bike complete and in decent condition. It had been ridden recently and was properly adjusted and the tires held air (amazing 1920's tires)

I am taking the bike apart and am having some difficulty removing the cog on the hub. Some amazing luck came my way in the form of a box of NOS Torrington X spokes (I digress) anyway, this is what it looks like.
set-72157624981957264

5553717871_4a1267bbe9-1.jpg

14 002 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

I have a spanner that fits properly and I made a special chain-whip. I am able to get both the lock ring and the cog to move 1/4 turn, back and forth. I don't know if they are both right-hand threads or what. Initial attempts have put a bit of stress on the wheel so I am working on a set of tight-fitting clamp blocks that will allow me proper grip on the hub shell.

Let me know your thoughts fellas. Thanks a bunch.

' 90's hub

Hello Frank,

Gotta think that the lock ring is left thread {recessed into the cog?} and the cog is right hand thread. It almost seems as though the hole , for a pin spanner , is ovalized a bit from pounding it snug toward left. Just my $.02. If we can help - let me know.
G @ OSH in Burl.

Hello Frank,

Gotta think that the lock ring is left thread {recessed into the cog?} and the cog is right hand thread. It almost seems as though the hole , for a pin spanner , is ovalized a bit from pounding it snug toward left. Just my $.02. If we can help - let me know.
G @ OSH in Burl.

I think you just did!

(*** later edit**)

Oldspoke, you were correct. The lockring was on a slightly smaller left hand thread. Good call! Thnaks!

(much later edit)

Nelson "special" hub, Chicago . Pat. 1900. It is unusual in that it does not have the brearings riding in fillets. The bearings ride on angled/flat surfaces. It has a neat oil fill port and a removable bearing cover that is retained by a threaded ring on the outside of the bearing cone.

5556532649_8d94660991-1.jpg

15 005 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

5557117128_7b5b983534-1.jpg

15 004 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back