When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1890's hub inquiry.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ftwelder

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi, I have a couple of old bikes, one of them I am working on now is a 1896-1898 "Nashua" by E.H. Corson or Nashua NH. It's a very high quality machine with finely crafted components and light at 25 lbs.
set-72157624981957264

5001640008_ac831b38a4-1.jpg

IMG_3630 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

I received the bike complete and in decent condition. It had been ridden recently and was properly adjusted and the tires held air (amazing 1920's tires)

I am taking the bike apart and am having some difficulty removing the cog on the hub. Some amazing luck came my way in the form of a box of NOS Torrington X spokes (I digress) anyway, this is what it looks like.
set-72157624981957264

5553717871_4a1267bbe9-1.jpg

14 002 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

I have a spanner that fits properly and I made a special chain-whip. I am able to get both the lock ring and the cog to move 1/4 turn, back and forth. I don't know if they are both right-hand threads or what. Initial attempts have put a bit of stress on the wheel so I am working on a set of tight-fitting clamp blocks that will allow me proper grip on the hub shell.

Let me know your thoughts fellas. Thanks a bunch.

' 90's hub

Hello Frank,

Gotta think that the lock ring is left thread {recessed into the cog?} and the cog is right hand thread. It almost seems as though the hole , for a pin spanner , is ovalized a bit from pounding it snug toward left. Just my $.02. If we can help - let me know.
G @ OSH in Burl.

Hello Frank,

Gotta think that the lock ring is left thread {recessed into the cog?} and the cog is right hand thread. It almost seems as though the hole , for a pin spanner , is ovalized a bit from pounding it snug toward left. Just my $.02. If we can help - let me know.
G @ OSH in Burl.

I think you just did!

(*** later edit**)

Oldspoke, you were correct. The lockring was on a slightly smaller left hand thread. Good call! Thnaks!

(much later edit)

Nelson "special" hub, Chicago . Pat. 1900. It is unusual in that it does not have the brearings riding in fillets. The bearings ride on angled/flat surfaces. It has a neat oil fill port and a removable bearing cover that is retained by a threaded ring on the outside of the bearing cone.

5556532649_8d94660991-1.jpg

15 005 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

5557117128_7b5b983534-1.jpg

15 004 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back