When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1890's 'Huseby' Timber & Iron Frame Survivor

-
Hi.
I'll look forward to seeing some photos of your visit.
I see Robert had been touring museums in Italy.
We follow each other on Instagram, he does have an incredible collection.

A couple of observations: how did they manage to drive those wedges inside of the bottom bracket?

And, how could they "guarantee" that these joints would never loosen? I've never had a wood handled hammer or sledge that didn't loosen up after sitting to some time.

Marvelous job on a very rare bike and a joy to see your endeavors.

Short update on the loose upper "tube" of my Huseby Wood-Frame:
Thanks for the advice Cabers, following the suggestion, I soaked a washing cloth with warm water, wrinked it out so it stayed semi-wet and wrapped it around the loose joint.
I measured the diamater of the wood shaft at start of the procedure and again the next morning.
And, the result was quite a success: the diamater has increaed by about 0.35mm and the joints were nicely tight ! I was really happy with that outcome and was looking forward to my first ever pleasure ride on that bike that night, after work....

But, you might have guessed it, when I came home from work, the fitting was lose again - the swelling of the wood was only temporally.

I dont think it would be good practice to soak the bike whenever I want to ride it ;) even though I certainly don't intend to ride often...

Any idea what could prevent the shrinkage after wetting it up ?

Thanks

Jochen

A couple of observations: how did they manage to drive those wedges inside of the bottom bracket?
View attachment 1653491

And, how could they "guarantee" that these joints would never loosen? I've never had a wood handled hammer or sledge that didn't loosen up after sitting to some time.

Marvelous job on a very rare bike and a joy to see your endeavors.
Hello Mickeyc.

Thats a good question (how they assembled the wedges) I assume with help of a press and a U-bracket with a little extrusions to drive them in , or even easier, a concial shaft that fits kind of snug into the Bottom Bracket and presses all wedges in at the same time while hammering the shaft sideways into the BB ...

and you are right: there is no garantee that the wood shafts stay tight.
The advertisment states that no screws where used, and we know (we can see) that each shaft has a brass pin going perpendicular through the assmebly, i.e. the pin goes through the lug/fitting, penetrates the wood and pokes out on the other side of the lug again. The ends of the pin were cut off, hammered flat and smoothend.
I assume they also used some glue, resin etc. to secure the wood inside the lugs - I could feel some "hard coating" when touching the wood ends inside of the lugs.

Thanks for the comment on the work

Jochen

Back