When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1891-1895 Pneumatic & Crusty - Can Anyone ID?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Brian R.

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I picked up this rusty critter ...It was cheap. Three questions:
1. What is it? Wide flat metal rim on rear, with radial spokes could be a good clue. The ratty tire on the back tells me the rear rim is original to the bike. There's a really low badge screw hole, near the bottom of the head tube.
2. Is it now in the lawn-ornament / boat anchor phase of life, with its functionality as a bicycle gone forever, or is it saveable? I'm afraid to touch it.
3. That tire looks significant. I read that Dunlop started encasing its tires in canvas from year 2. Is it a first generation pneumatic tire?

Probably not 1891 since pneumatic tires really were not widely available by most bicycle manufacturers until 1892.

1. What is it? Wide flat metal rim on rear, with radial spokes could be a good clue. The ratty tire on the back tells me the rear rim is original to the bike. There's a really low badge screw hole, near the bottom of the head tube. Rear rim is most likely original to the bike, front wheel is most likely a replacement.
2. Is it now in the lawn-ornament / boat anchor phase of life, with its functionality as a bicycle gone forever, or is it saveable? I'm afraid to touch it. This is certainly still restoreable.
3. That tire looks significant. I read that Dunlop started encasing its tires in canvas from year 2. Is it a first generation pneumatic tire? The canvas you see now was originally covered by a coating of rubber which has deteriorated and flaked away. You probably will find some bits of the rubber where the tire was protected by the rim.

Last edited:
Hello Blue Streak
I would agree it can come back .
Soak it in a bath of Molasses to remove the rust.
If it's a lone hole in the lower area of the head tube could this be an oil hole for the lower head cup ? If so the perhaps the bike had a decal and not a badge .
Glenn

This bike can be saved. Spray weld the frame to build it back up. Afterwards, the inside of the tubing can be coated with a linseed oil/beeswax solution to protect from further rusting.

Anything can be saved. How much you wanna spend?! I would put it at 93/94 with the rear rim and style of the bike. Any engraving on the ends of the pedals? They look Victorish from where I sit. But I can't see much and I am NOT saying I think the bike is a Victor

Just like everyone above stated, this bicycle is very much savable and restore-able completely. It will be a challenge and very time consuming, won't be cheap, but definitely worth it. This will be a fine bike to ride once its finished. Not too many of these left around still, and not easy to come by. I would say if you say you got it cheap, like $100 or less cheap, then you really did get an excellent deal! A lot of people, myself included, would envy such a deal as that! If that was my bike, I think I could restore for under $1000 if I did everything myself, given that it is fairly complete and looks pretty solid. I think even that chain could perhaps be saved and used, hard to say. That's a hard to get chain. Just my take on it; Good Luck!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the help! Just as Rambler said, there are little bits of rubber where the canvas meets the rim, so originally the canvas was on the inside of the tire under a layer of rubber which has flaked off.

I could not see any markings on the pedals. If it had end caps originally, they're gone now.

Dave Brown is going to help me explore the possibilty that it was made by Goold, in Brantford. It was found in a barn in south western Ontario, so it could be a Brantford. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because Canadian-made bikes is the main focus of my collecting.

Even if it's an import, I will still see what I can do to resurrect it. I will leave the rear wheel untouched. If I try to get it back on the bike path I will build a different wheelset.

Thanks again. It's always fun to learn about a new find with help from fellow Cabers.

I have an update: To my great surprise, I was able to completely dismantle the bike. I don't think I would have attempted it without the encouraging words from Cabers in this thread that it can be resurrected. Thank you for the feedback.

Everything threaded came unscrewed with help from sprays of Liquid Wrench. The handlebar is so thick and robust that it was able to withstand upward taps with a mini sledgehammer without the slightest dent. The only piece that caused grief was one of the crank arm cotter pins that had to be drilled out.

I think the chain can be saved. I got most of the links free. It's currently submerged in a bath of oil. I will need to find a very wide rear hub to span the width between the chainstays. Dave Brown is going to work his magic on the saddle.

I will post further updates as this project progresses.

Back