When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1891 New Mail Gentlemans Light Roadster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I will be coming up to buy the NEW MAIL , IT IS A PNEUMATIC, NOT A hard tired safety, There are many parts missing , especially the brake system , thanks for the photos, please let me know when the auction is ,[email protected]. -407 697 3999 for a text,thanks wpb. THANK YOU , JUST SAW THE INFO ,please send the phone and absentee bidding sign up information ,thanks

My brother lives in Princeton. Maybe I should ask him to attend. Do you have a link to the auction showing any other items? V/r Shawn
I looked at the selection at this auction house .., This is the only bike ,you can see all the items , on auction zip for July 21st,

I looked at the selection at this auction house .., This is the only bike ,you can see all the items , on auction zip for July 21st,
My brother is going to stop by this weekend and check it out. I collect other stuff besides bikes too. V/r Shawn

So what does being a pneumatic model do for its desirability?
More or less of these known?
We’re they offered along side the hard tire models.
An optional upgrade at the time of purchase?
The telescopic fork blows me away.
I think, it’s soooo cool that another one of these untouched gems was found in an estate clean out in 2019.
Fantastic find!
Good luck Walter!
I’m rooting for you.
Be sure, and let us know, what the auction was like, and how it all turned out.

It is a 1890 (30" hard tire) or 1891 (30" cushion tire) New Mail Safety with non-original (later) 28" wood rims and handlebars/stem, and is missing brake system, fenders and chain guard (image below from 1890 New Mail catalog). My guess is 1891 as the Garford saddle on it may not have been available until 1891 and cushion tires were not great to ride on and were only sold for a year or two so my thought is someone updated it to the newer pneumatic tire and rim to make it ride better:

1890 New Mail Safety.JPG

Last edited:
So based on the discussion here is this about a $4k bike? I would think the brake mechanism, fenders, and guard would have to be fabricated. Are the hubs correct and just laced into 28" wheels? V/r Shawn

Back