When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1893? Monarch diamond frame safety bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

lgrinnings

I live for the CABE
Howdy folks-

I’ve got an 1893? Monarch diamond frame safety bicycle. As anyone can see, it's crusty. That said, all points of articulation move freely with the exception of the left pedal which appears crustier than the rest of the bike (but I haven't tried to free it up either). While the rims are long gone, the original hubs remain and spin without issue. Along with the missing rims, there is no saddle, chain, or front brake mechanism. With the exception of some remnants on the left side, the grips are gone as well. The serial number on this particular machine is 34,995. I'm guessing at 1893 because of the hard-tire/semi-pneumatic style handlebars and stem.

There's a fair amount out there about Monarch, but I'm struggling with matching it to a similar model photo to verify the age. I'm also struggling with what to do with it. The painted parts can be filled, but any real pitting on the one-time brightwork would require a herculean effort to bring back. That said, from a functional standpoint, most of the internals appear to be unscathed.

Any and all information and advice is sincerely appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Lester

I just read that Monarch started bicycle production in 1892, so 1893 seems unlikely with the serial number 34,995. If the page below is from the 1894 catalog, this may be what I've got although it could be a 95 if they continued to run older style bars I guess.

1626978257677.png

$100 in 1885 is worth $2,800.99 today. On the higher end of bikes by todays standards but not super extravagant.

i would say that is in lower to mid range in any of today's real bike shops (not talking Walmart)

I went to my local bike shop last week and some of the bikes were priced at $14000 +, I am not kidding ....... and they had at least 6-10 of them in stock + all the other bikes worth between $4000 to $10000 , this is now insane

Back