When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1895 - COLUMBIA - Track - factory racer - "EDDIE BALD"

-
ok ok i want to know whats the top speed you come to my house my wife will sag you to the top of pilot mountain and set you out i will pace you down in my porsche cayman and well get a true speed reading ok ! debbie is a nurse in case you do not make it down she can pronounce you ! and oh yes we have much bigger mountains if feel the need ! . love those blue rims want to see them spin and yes the rest of the bike is very very very nice i would have to ride it at speed at least one time !

I am not disappointed but happy to be wrong. Thank you for the correction.

Hi Craig,

Here's a pic I took the other day in the same spot where I actually had it off the stand. I cropped the bottom up to the hub nut dropouts to line it up as it sits level on the ground. I cropped the top down so it's easier to see the top tube slope.

I'll get better pics when I can for you if you like. You can see the downward slope of the top tube. My 1894 Columbia #37 Racer Twin tube also has a downward slope top tube. My 1898 Columbia Model 49 Racer also had a slight downward top tube slope but not as much as the Model 44 does. The next racer that Columbia made was the 1902 Model 83 and this is where they basically leveled out the top tube. I have that Model 83 in the collection also. I've had all the racers from 1894 to 1903 and the top tube slope has always been of interest to me so I've always compared them.

Here's the Model 44 side shot for now:

IMG_9789.JPG

If any of you are ever around one of these Model 40's, 44's, 45's, ask the owner if they will let you pick it up to check the weight. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Back