When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1896 Columbia model 36with band brake. ( need help)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

David Brown

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Anyone out there have a 1894 Columbia with the rear band brake. I have made all the linkage from bars to band brake and am having the brake lever forged. I am working on the band brake but would really like to talk to some one about the working of some parts of the brake it self. Any help would be most appreciated. PM me or email me at [email protected]

img.jpg

PA054595.jpeg

Yes i really like the bike. Very original and solid. I made new saddle leather and the Columbia stamp. Pedals and every thing else are original to the bike. New Dean tires. Just have to complete the band brake. I was working on it today and have the brake kind of sorted out. Still would like someone that has one to come forward. I made a wood brake lever and have given it a black smith metal worker and he is going to forge the lever for me . Will take some work with milling machine to finish the lever. Very little paint left but a solid Calf. bike. Every thing came apart super easy.

david just a thought check with mike cates he may have a bike or know someone who does ! wish i was able to help you more also the wheelman site would be a good place to look. i really like the bike its a great piece regards mike alford

Well I have band brake made. Seems to work fine but is more of a slow you down brake. It sure will not stop on a hundred dimes. When i get the lever finished should be able to put more pressure on it and work better , I hope. Mike you said put something on the wheelmen site ,well to me the wheelmen site is dead . Have been a member for 25 years but not much happening on the site now.

PA274605.jpeg

PA274606.jpeg

PA274607.jpeg

These were the first automotive brake designs, as well.
The Wheelmen have more interaction on Wheelmen Facebook page.

Back