When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1896? Victor

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have the exact same bicycle and when I say exact, every features are the same down to the old cork grips. Only difference I can see are the pedals and the badge.
Mine is badge as a VICTORIA. Is yours really badge a VICTOR? I would expect a ladies bike badged as a Victoria. Maybe a replaced badged on your bike!
My bike has the old style Victoria rounded badge, and the oldest patent date on it is 1893.
Did you ever remove your badge, maybe there is another badge shadow under it.
My serial is only 4 digits. 3500

Interesting. Your badge is the earlier style than mine, but your serial number is 346 later than mine. I can't see evidence of the badge being removed but it is possible! I looked at the four tiny screws holding it on and am hesitant to booger them up to take a look!

Your badge sure looks like it's been on the bike since new.
Who knows what happened at the factory in 1894!
Maybe it was a badge transition period and they just used whatever they had on hand.
Pretty cool to locale two identical bikes from the 1800's with serial numbers so close together.

What will you do with your bike? Restore?

I have seemed and pressed wood rims in the past with pretty good success. Won't make it perfect and rideable, but it will look good for display.

I won't restore it. I would like to get it rideable, or at least presentable. The wheels and seat look bad! I am going to try soaking the rim and then pressing it flat. Anyone ever try? Or other thoughts? I do have some decent wood trims, but getting the nipples off the spokes is worrisome.

I have yet to verify, but I think the "flag" badge begins in 1896.
1894 and 1895 catalogs and details are nearly identical.
I would speculate that the serial numbers started again at zero for 1896
and that the factory would have been able to tell them apart by the badge and possibly other small changes.

For getting the nipples off the spokes use an electric soldering iron. just touch the nipple and heat up then try and loosen . Have done it many times. As for the rims either steam them or what i did was lay the rim on a piece of plywood and cover the rim with towels and pour boiling water over the towels and lots of it . Then clamp the rim down and leave it fo a few weeks . The finger joint might come apart but can be glued back together.

I would speculate that the serial numbers started again at zero for 1896
and that the factory would have been able to tell them apart by the badge and possibly other small changes.

Boy, I don't know about that. I have not seen that with Victor bikes.

If 1894 was the peak year for demand (and presumably production)

and during the peak Overman produced 80,000 bicycles per year (some branded as Spaulding)

then it is hard to imagine how a frame made anywhere from 1894 to 1896
(anytime after the first 9,999 units; it seems likely that they made 9,999 units prior to 1894--assuming for now that they started at zero with the first safety frame)
could be stamped with a 4 digit serial number, without restarting the sequence or using some method
such an additional letter code or some identifiable design feature on the frame.

Came across this post and a couple of folks are questioning the serial numbers of four digits. The number stamped on the bottom of the tube hung from the bottom of the crank hanger appears to be related in other ways, possible a part number for the tube, but these are not the serial numbers.

The serial numbers are found at the top of the seat tube, these are very small number stamps, but under the paint you might find yours.

I also have a Victor badge on mine, and not a Victoria, it does not appear to be a replacement but original to the bicycle. This is consistent with artwork done in 1895, by artist William Bradley. I am speculating that the badge differentiation may be due to the size of the bicycle, which the Victorias were offered in. The Victoria badge being a 28" wheel and the 26" wheels badged as Victor.

Love to be able to confirm this about the badges, as I'm still digging into it.

Lot-13-Scarce-C.-1895-Victor-Bicycle-Poster-in-the-Art-Nouveau-style-by-noted-artist-Will-H.-B...jpg

Lot-13-Scarce-C.-1895-Victor-Bicycle-Poster-in-the-Art-Nouveau-style-by-noted-artist-Will-H.-B...jpg

Came across this post and a couple of folks are questioning the serial numbers of four digits. The number stamped on the bottom of the tube hung from the bottom of the crank hanger appears to be related in other ways, possible a part number for the tube, but these are not the serial numbers.

The serial numbers are found at the top of the seat tube, these are very small number stamps, but under the paint you might find yours.

I also have a Victor badge on mine, and not a Victoria, it does not appear to be a replacement but original to the bicycle. This is consistent with artwork done in 1895, by artist William Bradley. I am speculating that the badge differentiation may be due to the size of the bicycle, which the Victorias were offered in. The Victoria badge being a 28" wheel and the 26" wheels badged as Victor.

Love to be able to confirm this about the badges, as I'm still digging into it.

View attachment 1670369

View attachment 1670370
Part numbers? So two identical bikes with the same part but different numbers stamped on it at the exact same place! To me that is a serial number. No other numbers stamped anywhere on the bike.

As far as wheel size, mine had 24" wheels. Not 28" and not 26".

Do you have any pictures of your bike? Would be useful to see it and see where your serial number is located.

Part numbers? So two identical bikes with the same part but different numbers stamped on it at the exact same place! To me that is a serial number. No other numbers stamped anywhere on the bike.

As far as wheel size, mine had 24" wheels. Not 28" and not 26".

Do you have any pictures of your bike? Would be useful to see it and see where your serial number is located.
Mine has the 4 digit stamp #3208 on the bottom of the tube under the crank but has a serial number #96008 at the top of the seat tube, see photo. Somewhat close in serial numbers to oldmtrcyc bicycle who started this thread, he had posted his as #95799, we're just 209 bicycles away from each other off the assembly line. I'm hedging that mine is an 1896 as well, based on the crank arm length & the height of the seat tube from the center of the crank, along with a few other details.

(sorry my photos are a bit fuzzy on the close ups-my regular camera I usually use needs repairs)

DSC02648.JPG

DSC02652.JPG

DSC02653.JPG

DSC02650.JPG

Last edited:
Back