When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1897 (circa) National Sewing Machine Belvidere Questions (just found in barn)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

TOCKubin

Look Ma, No Hands!
I just got this one barn fresh and it looks somewhat unmolested although there look to be about 2-3 brush coats of paint on it from a long time ago. One of the cranks was welded back together also but at least both pedals are still there and the bottom bracket still spins super easy. I wanted to post this here so there are some pictures for collectors but also had a few questions. I restored a 1914 Peerless so I have some idea what things entail. I like to get fix a bike back to where I can ride it but not sure about this one. I have some questions for all of your.

1. I have a very old box chain from another old skip tooth bike....what are the chances it will work on this one? I cannot seem to get the old one apart. There is one link where there are two pins that are more raised than all the rest and there is a diamond marking on that link. Is that the one I need to separate? There are no obvious "screw in" links to take apart easily. What would be the period correct chain for this thing (if findable at all). There are pictures of the chain in this post.

2. Should I try to make this a rider? This one apparently has no brakes at all so pretty dangerous to ride on street (or anywhere). The back rim is cashed but the front still quite true. I know there is a camp that says leave it as is so I would find it acceptable to get a different set of rims to use for riding but what should I use? I have thought to have new wheels built via Ghisallo so they would be wooden but maybe I should just let it be a hanger since I am not sure there are any rear hubs with brakes I could use.

3. I am looking for a cork grip just in case anyone has one laying around.

4. Please let me know if you have any other information about this bike. I found the one old catalog online but it doesn't zoom in so I can see pictures close or read text. Thanks in advance for your help. if I should post some of this somewhere else please advise.

IMG_5166.jpg

IMG_5167.jpg

IMG_5168.JPG

IMG_5169.jpg

IMG_5170.JPG

IMG_5171.JPG

IMG_5172.JPG

IMG_5173.JPG

IMG_5175.JPG

IMG_5176.JPG

IMG_5177.JPG

IMG_5178.JPG

Great find!
Your bike is more like 1897, not 1887.
The chain has to have a removable link. The link shown does not appear to be a "master link". Unless, at some point, someone just installed the chain with pins for some reason.
The front forks are damaged. You will be able to find parts needed at shows, swaps or online without too much difficulty. With so many TOC bikes out there, one more "restored " machine won't make a difference at the end of the day

Great find!
Your bike is more like 1897, not 1887.
The chain has to have a removable link. The link shown does not appear to be a "master link". Unless, at some point, someone just installed the chain with pins for some reason.
The front forks are damaged. You will be able to find parts needed at shows, swaps or online without too much difficulty. With so many TOC bikes out there, one more "restored " machine won't make a difference at the end of the day
Thanks.....actually with a little more looking in the forum I found someone talking about this type chain and indeed, the one on my finger in the photo was the master but it was a snap link (never seen one of those before). Can't believe how easy it was to remove by just putting a screw driver in there. Of course it doesn't fit.....could have guessed that. And yes, 1897 like the catalog....typo.

Back