When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1897 Crescent courting bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mike j

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
My wife has always liked a bicycle built for two, I never really shared the love. Lately though, I have been liking the Colson steer from the rear, she saw a photo of Norberto's at Trexlertown & loved it. Picked up this Crescent Model 25 at Copake. I think that it is extremely elegant & has some pretty unique features. Finally got to it today. Stripped through the red brush on & the blue underneath, very little original (black) paint under the crank hanger. Nickel plating, overall is not too bad, the silver paint applied to it may have preserved it somewhat. When I get all the parts cleaned & can clearly see what I have, will be better able to decide where to go w/ it.

fullsizeoutput_7a0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7a2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7a3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7a4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_87c.jpeg

Just about ready for priming. Letting the Rust Mort dry up. The nickel plating is not too terrible considering that it's a hundred & twenty years old. Giovanni said that these bikes came in a optional color of olive. I'm going with satin Italian olive & will attempt to distress it enough to match the patina'd plating. Probably have to fabricate the handlebars & stems.

DSCN0364.jpg

Thanks guys, getting ready for paint. Found this Crescent that @cr250mark had posted awhile ago. Believe that this is the olive color that I'm shooting for. Hope to be able to distress it enough to match the plating & make it look somewhat original.

IMG_3764 (1).jpg

DSCN0365.jpg

Beautiful bikes Giovanni, thank you very much for the offer. That is extremely kind of you. I would love to do these in wood but not able to at this point. I have them somewhat fabricated in stainless tubing w/ the stem welded to the bars. Though not correct, I believe that they will be passable. Very similar to my 1896 Columbia & the Crescents that I've seen in photo's & catalog pic's sport a variety of handle bar types. The budget is tight on this one & I have a feeling that the ten feet + or - of 1/4 inch block chain is going to eat up most of it.

Back