When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1897 Iver Johnson bottom bracket bearing cone

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dick Rath

Look Ma, No Hands!
Part needed: In disassembling the bottom bracket on my 1897 ladies Iver Johnson restoration project, I damaged, or more accurately, I broke into multiple pieces the right-hand-thread bearing cone. Being carefull not to apply too much heat on the cone for fear of altering its hardness and, given that there were no holes or notches for using a spanner to provide leverage, I decided to use a pipe (stilson) wrench on the cones knurled rim. BIG MISTAKE! So, pictured is the broken cone, along with a few showing the sprocket and crank shaft. The cone's thread diameter is approximately 5/8", slightly larger than the tread diameter on the other end of the shaft (for the left side bearing cone) so it can be slipped over those theads and on down the shaft. Obviosly the restoration project has come to a full stop until a replacement bearing cone can be found. Any help or leads would be most appreciated. Dick Rath

Would more modern (say 1930’s) parts by Iver Johnson for the bottom bracket crank hanger fit ToC bicycles?
In my experience there would be very little possibility of any bottom bracket components manufactured after the
turn of the centry that would be compatible with this bearing cone. At least with the more high-end bicyle manufacturers it was
their practice to prioritize many of their parts and designs.....that's what makes restoring these old machines such a challenge.

Are you sure the bike is a 1897 Iver?
I have two 1897 Iver, a model 35 and a model 36 and my cranks don't have that set-up

you can see the crank assembly in the 1897 IJ catalog posted by @Iverider on page 9 for the higher grade Iver Johnson bikes
maybe your bike is the "second grade" Fitchburg Cycle described on page 13
is your bike the Fitchburg Model E?
maybe the Fitchburg cycles had a different crank assembly, but it's not described or pictured in the catalog

Hi locomotion, Yes, I have talked to the owner of this 1897 Iver and it is a "Fitchburg" model.

Back