When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1897 Orient Model B Racer Project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
Orient is certainly among my favorite companies that built bicycles leading up to the turn of the 20th century.
This particular Orient has had a rough road.

I discovered the fully primed frame in a barn in rural PA some time ago and have been in the hunting phase for a while trying to track down necessary hardware.
Thanks to @New Mexico Brant and @oldmtrcyc I'm well on my way!

I did remove all the crap primer, it had quite a few abrasions from storage and primer over many pieces that should have been brightwork originally.
Beneath I found traces of the original black enamel (confirmed by the catalog) so an aged black will be my paint finish effort.

Over the last couple days I decided to tackle the badge and original insert. This badge surround had been victim to pretty severe damage which claimed the insert and mangled the bezel, wish a few hours of careful work I got it straight and managed to mount the replacement insert flush, snug, and in-frame.

More updates to come, just wanted to share some progress!
Go out and save a bicycle, feels good.

97 Orient Model B As Found.jpg

Orient Model B stripped1.jpg

Orient Model B showing original black enamel.jpg

Orient Model B taped.jpg

Orient badge as found.jpg

Orient badge finished.jpg

This machine was discovered with the hardware shown in that poor primer photo -
Original fork, complete headset, seatpost coupling and seatpost with a small length of broken chain.

The 97' line of Orient features a secondary model disc, without it I would have had little chance of identifying this one.
I also have the 97' catalog which is a very tiny little thing but it explains that year alpha numeric code and makes such a mystery far less puzzling.
The 97' A is a Roadster , 97' B Racer, C Ladies, D Double Diamond tandem, E Combination Tandem, F&G Dainty juvi models.

After a bit more cleaning this ol' boy is one step closer to being presentable.
Got the first layer of black on, going to start wearing it down to better match the component group but that may take a little time and finesse.
Also solved the issue of the missing caps for my open seat stays.

Orient Model insert.jpg

Model B disc2.jpg

Open stays before.jpg

domed nuts.jpg

Open stays after.jpg

Orient catalog.png

My Orient men's bike doesn't have model number on badge, and it doesn't look like it has been changed. NICE project Jesse. Looking forward to the build!
View attachment 1337331

View attachment 1337332
Mannnn the edges on your badge bezel make me think I need to keep working at mine but I'm afraid I will overdo it and it will start to fracture.
I'll just pretend it looks as good as yours and try to distract myself ;)

I won't claim to know everything, just basing my claims on what I see and read learning as I go.
I would say I probably make 3 mistakes for every correct move in my life so chances are good I made a few errors in this post.
How humiliating!

I can say for sure this catalog that I am holding is pretty clear about the 97' Model B Racer though, and the C ladies.
Looks like @oldmtrcyc and I seem to have a good chance

I need to study the lugs in the 98' catalog however Mr. Corbett contacted me today with speculation it was not a 97' at all but a 98'.
Lots to learn, it can be so much fun when everyone is being polite.

Model 7 B Catalog.jpg

Model 7 C Catalog.jpg

Back