When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1897 Walker & Stutz "The Goshen"

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
Here is an interesting bike I found as a frameset years ago and have been researching off and on since.
I finally rebuilt it in a way I like with the exception of tires which I will figure out soon.

Edward Walker and Eugene Stutz started this mfg company (I believe they did mfg in house) in 1894 producing an array of items, among them "high grade" bicycles.
From what I can tell Edward W. Walker was an already established local businessman which would perhaps shed light on his name coming first and his initials being used in the company name. Walker had established a company which mfg'd hand carts, barrows, pumps etc sometime prior also in Goshen.

Incidentally Eugene Stutz was one of the siblings of Harry Stutz who in 1911 founded the Stutz Motor Company-certainly an industrious family.

Later in life Eugene Stutz formed the Star Tank Company making tanks for the railroad among a variety of other purposes.
One of the branches of that company built water crafts which went on to break away and form what is now known as the StarCraft Marine Company.

Beyond all the great history of the individuals surrounding the production of this bicycle the machine itself warrants some close attention.

The crankset is very cool, the outer race adjustment is locked with a flat head machine bolt and fits the machined guides on the race.
The crank itself is two piece with a bolt hidden in the bottom bracket which connects the two arms. This is accessible by a port hole in the bottom bracket similar to the Pope design but far more serviceable in my opinion.

The hubs are both nice wide diameter barrel hubs with "floating" axles which makes wheel mounting much easier, sorta.
The headset shows some unique features as well, the castle nut has a "locking" feature that acts a sort of compaction joint for the stem.
The stem itself is also worthy of an xray view as the 45 degree angle bolt that fastens the bars also draws a wedge which tightens the stem in place.

Well aged maroon paint with gold pinstripes still visible up close.

Brown mono / leaf spring saddle and a wind up bell to top it all off.

Walker & Stutz Goshen1.jpg

Walker & Stutz Goshen2.jpg

Walker & Stutz Goshen3.jpg

Walker & Stutz Goshen6.jpg

Walker & Stutz Goshen4.jpg

Walker & Stutz Goshen5.jpg

Walker & Stutz Goshen7.jpg

Walker & Stutz Goshen8.jpg

Indianapolis Journal 1894 Walker & Stutz Founding.jpg

EW Walker Co trade card.jpg

Gorgeous bicycle and technically interesting too!
Love it.
Would love to see more details of that handlebar/ stem combo.

Back