When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1898 Columbia Chainless Crank nut made

-

Pedaler

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello friends,
I recently obtained through auction a chainless Columbia from 1898. I found that the crank nut was cracked and made a nut on the lathe. I used a 7/16 - 24 tap LH thread.
What do ya think?
nut.jpg

W-1 drill rod is a good steel for bearing parts and machines nice. Just heat it up to an orange color and dunk it in warm water. Put it back in the lathe and polish it up to a shine, and then heat it up again. But the second time you only want to heat it up until it just starts to turn a straw color and dunk it again in water. Don't put the point of the torch down on the work, let the bottom of the flame do the work. If you are not careful it will quickly turn from a straw color to blue in seconds in which case it is too hot. The second heating will anneal it and relieve some of the stress. It takes a little practice to get it right.

Back