When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1898 G&J Rambler wheel restoration question

-

Pyn

On Training Wheels
Hello, I am in the process of restoring an 1898 Rambler bicycle and one of my first question is regarding the wheels. They are the original G&J-issued wheels (made in Plymouth, IN according to the very faded metallic silver stamping on the wheels.) They retain their mahogany-colored finish (which is also mentioned in the 1898 G&J catalog) - the wheels are just a bit dirty and grimy. Any recommendations on a cleaner for the wheels that won’t damage the stain? My plan is to clean the wheels up, then put a new protective coat of varnish on them.

Also, the spokes appear to be original and in good condition. I took the front wheel to my long-time local cycle shop and they removed a few of the spokes for inspection. He said they are still very flexible and very good condition. Since they have lost most of their nickel plating, would having them replated and reinstalled on the wheels be a good alternative to all new spokes? My hope was to keep the bike as original as possible if all of the part’s condition allowed it. I would like to get the hubs replated as well.

Thank you for any information or suggestions! - Jim

A few photos of the front wheel; back wheel very similar condition. Original color stain is still present, I just want to clean them up a bit. The plan is to be able to ride the bike after restoration - it was rideable prior to my obtaining it.

0FF9F203-90EA-4B5F-96BE-B543B352D322.jpeg

E0107331-83B8-4149-8CA4-E0DE2405A44B.jpeg

58495DB9-DA7B-4378-B802-443BE35B403F.jpeg

I would leave the wheel just like that and make your self a ridable wheel set. In my opinion that wheels a bit too nice to mess with. What tires were on there?

Shine a flashlight down the seat tube. G&J always stuffed a card in and it will give you the exact date of manufacture and other details.
Hi Craig, I was able to obtain the original tag from the previous owner - it was made February 8, 1898! Serial number 6905, style 26 (the racer), and a 24” frame. The bottom line on the tag is a bit water-stained and harder to read. I am a member of the Wheelmen and was able to get additional information on this bike from the archivist. G&J offered their customers
numerous extra-cost options; this bike has one of them.

CFBDD250-BA97-492F-ADB4-D6C8B0DE3ACF.jpeg

1684510714552.jpeg

1684511537776.jpeg

Hi Craig, I was able to obtain the original tag from the previous owner - it was made February 8, 1898! Serial number 6905, style 26 (the racer), and a 24” frame. The bottom line on the tag is a bit water-stained and harder to read. I am a member of the Wheelmen and was able to get additional information on this bike from the archivist. G&J offered their customers
numerous extra-cost options; this bike has one of them.

View attachment 1840481

View attachment 1840488

View attachment 1840496

Sorry about all the repeat photos! I hit the wrong button- numerous times!

Back