When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1898 Quadrant Chainless ladies model cycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

dnc1

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I recently became custodian of an 1898 Quadrant Chainless ladies model bicycle.
It requires much work to make it rideable.
I intend to make it rideable over time, and for it to be used as intended, occasionally.
There are 4 or 5 such bicycles in museum collections in the UK and an unknown quantity in private ownership (I know of 2 examples).
It is in a pretty parlous state, but worth saving I think.
Here is an advert depicting the Lloyd's Patent Cross Roller Gear that it features......

It is unlike any other Chainless drive system, utilizing barrel shaped roller bearings instead of the usual pinions/gears......

I'd like to highlight the equally different saddle initially.
Of Quadrant's own design, I've never seen anything like it. It features some 20 small springs!

Different indeed; it is lacking it's leather top cover but is mostly complete.
The saddle rails are square in section and I have the correct saddle clamp.
This is what it should look like.....

But it is difficult to see how the two leather layers are attached to each other, and I am assuming there is a layer of (probably) horsehair as the sandwich filling.
I can see a few rivets but I cannot work out how it attaches to the leather layer atop my example.
Most of the surviving bicycles don't have the original saddles unfortunately so there isn't much info to go on. Mine may well be the only original ladies pattern saddle surviving
I was hoping there may be some saddle experts who can give an opinion?
To be continued.....

Last edited:
Very cool bike! Orient used a somewhat similar drive system on their chainless bikes, with the roller bearings. Not 100% the same, but close. Good luck with the project. I’m sure some more experienced members will chime in about the saddle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow--- yes Orient had the same system called spin rollers I wonder who got the patent rights from who - like my Durkopp licenced by Rover
I checked out the 'Sager' system that Orient used.
They didn't use rollers at the hub end of the drive shaft.....

A minor difference, but they are remarkably similar in design. An interesting question as to who invented it first.
cool, never seen one before
that saddle is pretty interesting, hopefully it's salvageable ..... I would sandblast that thing with glass beads or aluminium oxide and see the result

Better to soak in oxalic acid
I think I would try the OA bath method first, some of the springs are quite fragile and a couple of them are broken already.
I have contacted one of the museums to see if they will send me detailed photos of their saddle.
Hopefully they can help.

Back